Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Pre-Diabetes? Full blown?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Pre-Diabetes? Full blown?

This may not be the right forum, but I didn't know where to post.  So...

Diabetes runs in my family, so I always expected to get hit by the bullet some day.  I haven't been to a doctor since I was 18 (will be 26 on Nov 26) because I have not been insured and refuse to accept anymore medical debt.  

For the last couple months, I started feeling very weak and woosy at times.  I figured this had something to do with low blood sugar.  So, when I got my hands on a tester, I used it.  After fasting, my blood sugar was 133.  A while later, when I got to the point like I'd been feeling for weeks prior, where I felt I had low bloor sugar, I tested at 117.  Then I ate and tested 2 hours later and got a reading of 151.  150 three hours after eating.  Needless to say, this isn't good.  

You should know that for about 7 years, I averaged 4 cans of soda per day.  There were periods of time where I went without soda, but these usually went in 1-4 month periods.  My assumption is that my body is used to high blood sugar.  So, let's just guess that when in my normal routine, my body is used to being near 200, which would make 117 very low for me.

How do I regulate my body to stop feeling like this? (I've cut the majority of soda out for the last few weeks)  Do I need gradually come off of the sugar while working to get back in shape?  Or should I just cut it out completely and deal with feeling like death until my body re-adjusts?  

I will die before going to see a doctor, I don't care how ignorant you feel that is, it's my life.  So, seeking that kind of help is not an option.
"Once a pre-diabetic 2, you will be a full blown one in  2,5, 7 years"

Well, this comment is absolutely incorrect. A number of people have reversed their prediabetes state to normal by making necessary lifestyle changes; eating and following a t2 diabetic diet/nutrition, if overweight by losing the weight, and you can help burn off excess sugar with daily 30-60 minute exercise. Fail to make these lifestyle changes diabetes becomes a progressive disease.

You're correct to assume your body freaks out when it attempts to be at normal levels. Think of it as sugar burn out where it has adjusted to being at higher than normal levels. To start, eat smaller meals throughout the day, like 5 to 6 instead of 3. This way your body has good fuel to burn while not depending on the sugar rush.

I'm going to sound like I'm repeating myself because I am. Cutting back on the sodas will help but you also need to burn off the excess sugar at the same time with exercise. Exercise also helps you get healthier so at the same time you don't through that sugar burn out queasy feeling. By eating the correct foods and having normal body weight your body will not only adjust quickly to normal levels, but also you will feel much healthier.

One thing you must understand, since diabetes runs in your family you may have inherited the diabetes gene.This doesn't mean the end of the world. To prevent the progression of diabetes and diabetes nasty side effects one has to make the aforementioned lifestyle changes.

Lastly, you can start by educating yourself about this disease and by understanding the foods to eat and foods to avoid - solid and liquid.
I suggest you read other threads on this forum as food types to avoid and foods to eat have been discussed often. Good luck
Hi there,
I am full blown diabetic 2 for the last 20 years at least, and for the last 4 years ,I have been studying this dreaful condition quite well to the point that my A1c now is 5.8% without any medication at all. I have an advice to anyone who want to find out if he or she is a diabetic 2, buy the home test kit called A1C NOW at Walsgreen or Walsmart for less than $28 dollrs.
Pre-diabetic 2 is when your A1C is betwwen 5.7% and 6.4% according to the US government.
Or visit an Endo for an official diagnotic.
These are some of my findings that I hope I am wrong: Once a pre-diabetic 2, you will be a full blown one in  2,5, 7 years , it all depends on what' kind of foods  you consume. Please read this book: Diabetes solutions by Dr. Richard Beinrstein,to me it's the best book on this subject.
Anyone that drinks 2 cans of soda a day for 10 years is already a pre or full blown diabetic 2. This beautifull country USA is having 101 millions adult pre or full blown diabetics 2. This figure comes from the CDC. Why? because foods and soda drinks in the US cost  less in the world. That's why we has the most overweight  and the most diabetic 2 proportionly in the world. I hope that I don't offend anyone, it just my  brutal finding, un bias. and I might be wrong,
Why, 50 or 70 years ago, we had only 10% of the population compare with 30% of the population is pre or full blown diabetic 2 because we consume much more sugar than 50, 50 years ago.
Every full blown diabetic 2 at one point they were non diabetic 2. Their A1C number were less than 4.4% which is non diabetic 2 according to DR. Richard Beirstein .
I hope that my words will make a different: Beware that drinking soda daily is not healthy.