Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Prediabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Prediabetes

I went in for a doctor appt (unrelated to diabetes) where my doctor ordered blood tests.  She checked my blood sugar which was 114 and subsequently told me to change my diet, get exercise, lose weight, etc.  I am doing that now.  However, I wanted to ask whether the coffee I had (approximately 3 hrs before the test) could have affected the test.  The only other food I had that morning was two boiled egg whites.

Another question I had was, I am now on a low calorie, low fat diet with an hour of exercise 6 days a week and I've lost 8 lbs in the last week and a half.  I've also noticed that I wake up about six hours after I've gone to bed, stay awake for a little while, and then go to sleep.  Does this suggest something bad happening inside of me (in regard to blood sugar levels).  I also have anxiety over this and other medical problems.  I'm just not sure if I am doing the right thing in regard to my pre-diabetic diet.  It is low fat, lots of fiber, fruits and vegetables and lean proteins, 1 serving of carb (not refined) at each of five meals a day, spaced about 2-1/2 hours apart.  Because of reflux, I don't eat past 5pm usually, because I go to bed at 8pm, and am usually asleep by 8:30 or 9pm.  

Thank you so much for your help!  
Now I'm not an expert, but I am a pre-diabetic. In regards to your diet and exercise, I would like to say congratulations.  For a pre-diabetic, your diet is very good.  You did not mention your weight, but if your doctor told you to lose weight, your chances of developing diabetes are much smaller if you continue doing what you are. As for your sleeping habits, I wouldn't be able to tell for sure if it is blood sugar related, but you mentioned anxiety.  I too have suffered with that and know how it can effect sleep. Keep in contact with your doctor and have them monitor your blood sugar. I even started monitoring my own only when I have symptoms.  You can purchase a store name brand starter kit for under $20.  I wish you the best of luck and hope I was of some help. Take care!!!  
Anything eaten before the test will affect it. So therefore you didn't have a fasting test, and that really doesn't diagnose pre-diabetes or diabetes. You need a fasting test after not eating for 8-12hrs.
Thanks to both of you.  It's just much nicer knowing others are out there to talk to!  PS - I now weigh 184 lbs.  3 months ago, I weighed 210, having gained 40 lbs since the previous fall (depression/anxiety).  Even if it wasn't the most reliable fasting blood sugar test, I am really driven to lose weight and exercise regularly for the rest of my life.  I'm going for at least 44 more pounds.  Wish me luck!