Prediabetic?
At my yearly check up I was informed by my physician that I am “pre-diabetic”.  She based this on one fasting glucose test wherein my glucose was 100.  I am, to say the least, nonplussed about this.  I am 5’5” and weight 128 pounds.  My cholesterol was 182, my HDL was 53, my LDL was 111, my triglycerides were 92.  I exercise, aerobically, at least 5 times a week for 30 minutes, I also work out with weights about three times a week.  As for dietary habits, I eat almost no refined carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.).  I seldom eat sweets and never drink soda pop.  On the other side of the ledger, I am 72 years old, while neither parent had diabetes, I do have a brother who has Type II, but he was a pudge and a slug as a youth, and as an adult he is cusping on obesity.  I also read that there is a possibility that if you take  Proton Pump Inhibitor drug it could affect your glucose (I take Protonix for nighttime reflux.), Aslo, being a low birth weight baby (I weighed 5 lbs) could affect glucose.  What are your views on this. lame anecdotal stuff or legitimate science?

Now, after I was told this by my physician, I began reading up on “pre-diabetes”.  In fact, I read about four (well reviewed books by clinical experts) on the subject.  I have also researched it on the internet – extensively.  Nowhere in any of the books or articles does it address someone who is lean and in relatively good physical condition.  EVERY book/article comments about overweight, sedentary people and how much they were able to lower their glucose with dietary modifications and exercise.  It begs the question, where does this leave the lean ones?  How much lower in weight can I go, how much more exercise can I do?  Does this number (glucose, 100) mean that had I been overweight and inactive I would be a full blown diabetic I ?  Or is there just a slight chance that for some people they can fall within this range and still be normal?

Thanks for your answers.  Nowhere is this addressed in any of the literature I have read.
OK, you're overreacting a tad bit here. Normal fasting glucose ranges are 70-99 mg/dl. Bear in mind that two blood samples drawn at the exact same time may have two separate results varying as much as ±5 mg/dl. The true test for diabetes and glucose control is called an A1c. Google it.