Aa
A
A
Close
Prognosis of Type 2 diabetes
My nephew got type 2 diabetes which got diagnosed when he was admitted to hospital last week. He is 25 years and obese BMI is 29, overweight. He was not active and was lazy so far, he is asking everyone that how long he will be alive ;). Wanted to check if anyone has idea how long one can live by regular exercise and diet without medication? His sugar level with fasting is 129. PPBS is 130. Please let me know if anyone of you have got diabetes when you were 20's and controlling with diet.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,

If he has type 2, then it definitely can be controlled with diet, if he is prepared to take action.  His levels are not so high yet, so this is a very good time for him to take actions and to reverse this.

I would highly recommend he look into low-carb diet, and particularly avoiding all sugars.  Some people use ketogenic, or paleo style diet.

When he loses weight, this alone may be enough to return his levels to normal.  Cutting all added sugars, Low carb / Keto/ Paleo style (whole unprocessed foods) diet will also help with weight loss.   There are some really supportive online keto / low carb communities, which he may seek out.

Exercise, will increase his energy levels and also make him feel better about himself.  

I hope this can be a wake-up call to him.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Ok Sally, thanks for your valuable inputs.Ot helps him a lot.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Blank
Manila, Philippines
Blank
5536886 tn?1455830946
Blank