Query on PP Test Procedure and Interpreting Results
My doctor did a PP blood Test just 20 minutes after my having morning Breakfast of Cornflakes and Milk. Reading showed 234...He concluded My sugar level is high. I thought PP Test shoudl be done 2 hours post meal. Pl clarify as I get multiple views on the same. You can also clarify on what the ideal test range should be. Look forward to your clear response which will clear my doubt that I have. Thx Uday
You're right, your doctor a bit premature and in need of diabetes education/training. Within 1 hour after eating your glucose [blood sugar] is still rising. Saying you're high 20 mins after eating is a false/positive and meaningless jibber jabber. The 2-3 hour postprandial test is to see if your body has produced the right amounts of insulin to return your glucose back to normal levels. This is the normal PP time period, not 20 mins. HTH
Some people use 1 hour after eating eating as the PP test.

Realy doesnt mater when he tested 234 is way to high.  Idealy you dont want your BG to ever go over 140.

Every time your BG goes over 140 you are taking baby steps to complications, like going blind and loosing feet.

It takes time a long time for that to happen.  but diabetes is the leading cause of foot amputations in the us. so it does happen to people who dont take care of there BG.

yes a proper protocol for testing is 2 hours after eating.

However, 234 is way too high for any time after eating, and at only 20 minutes after eating you hadn't yet absorbed the food properly yet so your blood sugar was likely on the way up.    I would not say false positive in this setting.

Therefore, you doctor's conclusion that your blood sugar is high is correct.

I hope this has triggered some more testing and/or treatment.  It is extremely important that diabetes is well managed to prevent long-term complications.

Your numbers are indicative of diabetes.  Do you have a home meter?  You will need to control carbohydrate intake and meal portions, try to ensure your weight is optimal and take up some exercise if you don't already.

Non-diabetics rarely go higher than about 120, though 140 is considered a reasonable limit following a high carb meal (Cornflakes and milk is a high carb meal - though I don't know how big your portion was).

Please let us know what is happening with you now.
Thx Sure will keep tab. Have been adviced to continue my medication and get test doen again aftera month ensuring adequate excercise , refraining from sugar i.e sticking to sugar free, optimum sleep etc. To giev soem history I am on medication for last 1 year now and take a tab i in the morning before BF and one in teh night before dinner. I'm 5ft 10Inches and weigh 75Kgs and am on the slimmer side age 44 male.
Watch out for "Sugar Free" foods many of them contain more carbs than the regular sugerd version.

Its not just sugar that raises our BG.  Carbohydrates (carbs) raise BG sugar is a carb, so is pasta, rice, bread, potato...  the list goes on.

carbs raise BG.....  ALL carbs raise BG.   how much and how fast depends....
Hello,  do you have a home monitor? Measure fasting, then 2 hours after eating. You can also measure before next meal to see if your sugar came down if the 2 hr post eating was high.

Strongly recommend low carb diet. This requires you to eat more fat and protein to replace carbs.  Non-starchy veges all ok.  Bernstein "diabetes solutions" available on amazon, 2011 edition, is excellent resource if you are interested.

From your age and physique there is possibility you are adult onset type 1 (also called lada). Please goggle this.  So please follow this up agressively.