Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Results of Glucose Fasting Test ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Results of Glucose Fasting Test ?

Hi All
I went to a health fair and had blood taken out of my finger and the reading was 7.50. So the Dr sent me for
a glucose fasting test and thank goodness it came below the range at 4.80 but I don't understand what it means??
I also have an under-active thyroid, I do get alot of tingling and numbness in my hands.
Could anyone please explain these results.
Many Thanks
Lorraine
7.5 (135) is not super high, but random blood sugars don't mean much; how long after eating was it taken and what did you eat?  Most non-diabetics rarely go above 120. Your fasting is normal. I don't know in your numbers, but 4.8 is 86 and anything under 100 is considered normal. However, fasting blood sugars are only one possible way to test and if you have concerns I would request an OGTT or even better an A1C which is now considered the standard for diagnosis. (Anything under 5.7 is normal, 5.7 to 6.4 is pre-diabetes and 6.5 and over is diabetes). If you do have diabetic numbers be sure and get your Type clarified by an antibody test (you may need to see an endo as your GP might not know about it). Having another autoimmune disorder, losing weight or being normal weight or less are all indicators of LADA which is an adult form of Type 1.

I hope this information is helpful and not overwhelming. What it comes down to is don't panic but it bears further exploration because if you are, in fact diabetic, it is a manageable condition but you will want to get on it. If you are not, then great!