Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Retinopathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Retinopathy

Hello I am writing on behalf of my husband. He is a type 2 diabetic and has developed really bad rentinopathy in both eyes.  He has had some treatment in the past and now needs to have further surgery.  Because of some medical conditions he has been unable.to work for over a year, so we do not have money for the surgery.  The doctor that he has been seeing in colorado won't do it because he still owes them money from before. Do you know of anyone that would be willing to do this pro Bono or at a very low cost? The reason it is so importantfor him to have this done is because I am also vision impaired and can hardly see myself.  If he goes blind also we would be in very bad situation.  I hope you can help me with this situation
Have you checked with Medicare, Medicaid, PEAK? Checked with your city or county Human Services if they offer an medical assistance program?
Hello, I hope WaveRider's advice could help you.

In order to prevent the retinopathy getting worse, it would be very important for your husband tto have excellent control of his diabetes.

How are his levels?  If his  blood sugar is still high on oral meds, it may be recommended that he changes to insulin.  He should also follow a low carbohydrate diet (with healthy fats and protein replacing the carbs), which will make it easier to control his blood sugar, exercise daily (if he can't walk a stationary bike can be useful), and optimise his weight.

I will also recommend the book "diabetes solutions" by Dr. Richard Bernstein.  This is available on Amazon, or on-line.  Please make sure you get the 2011 edition. He describes how to properly control blood sugar with diet and medication to prevent the progression of complications.  Hope this can be helpful.

Best wishes
Thank you for your response.  We have tried to appt for Medicaid but he did not qualify and he is to young to get Medicare.  We do belong to peak vista but none of the specialists want to take this medical assistance.  So we will keep trying.
Thank you for your response.  His blood sugars are running around 105 consistently.  He takes oral meds and also a insulin called lantus.  I try to watch his eating habits as best as I can and try to make low carb meals