Senior Health (Seeking Help)
My 96 year old mother-in- law is a diabetic and she has an itchy red rash that seems to be getting progressively worse. The rash is traveling up her back and moving around to her chest. She also has a toe that won't heal. What should we do? She is living in a nursing home and they told my husband that she will be seeing a doctor sometime in December? And could someonelpease tell me where I might find dietary information for diabetics. Should their daily diet be filled with, bread, starches and processed meat with little or no vegetables. Help me please?
"What should we do? She is living in a nursing home and they told my husband that she will be seeing a doctor sometime in December?"

Speak with the nursing home again, preferably someone in an administrative role. If he/she repeats December as the earliest your M-I-L can see a doctor take her to ER to get the rash and infected toe treated ASAP. Then go find a reputable nursing home for her and report the current one to authorities. No one, I repeat, no one should have to wait two months for medial aid.

"Should their daily diet be filled with, bread, starches and processed meat with little or no vegetables."

Absolutely not. This is a horrible diet especially for her age let alone a diabetic or even a normal person. Where's the nutrition? Type 2 diabetics must avoid foods made with white flour - white bread, crackers, pasta, etc - as these quickly turn into sugar after eating causing glucose [blood sugar] to elevate above normal limits. See this link for acceptable and unacceptable foods http://tinyurl.com/white-flour-foods. As part of your new nursing home research be sure to ask to see the menu, talk with other habitants on their thoughts about the care being received. Good luck