Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Splenda

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Splenda

Is it possible that splenda can raise blood sugar?
Splenda was thought to be the safe alternative to sugar, but I think tests are showing that it really isn't. I believe all artificial sweeteners tend to increase the feeling of hunger or something. I don't know about it raising actual blood sugar levels.Anyway, I am not diabetic, but my NP has me on a diet to control inflammatory disease and I cannot have refined sugar or artificial sweeteners! Sounds terrible, but I have lost about 25 pounds and my cholesterol levels are in the normal range for the first time ever! I was at that point of needing to do something since I had all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome - a precursor of diabetes!
Madge, the following is from McNeil Nutritions, LLC, makers of Splenda:

"SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener contains the sweetening ingredient sucralose.  The United States Food and Drug Administration has permitted the use of sucralose by the entire United States population without exception; which includes people with diabetes.

Sucralose is derived from sugar, however, it is not perceived by the body as sugar or as a carbohydrate.  In specific studies in people with diabetes, sucralose had no effect on blood sugar levels, carbohydrate metabolism, or the secretion of insulin.  Sucralose is not broken down in the body for energy and is excreted unchanged.

As with most low calorie sweeteners, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener also contains common food ingredients, in addition to the sweetener sucralose.  These ingredients are added to give the product form and texture.  In SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Granulated, the bulking agent is the common food starch, maltodextrin, which contributes one half gram of carbohydrate, and two calories per teaspoon.  Up to eight teaspoons of SPLENDA® Granulated are considered a free food in a diet for diabetes.  When used in larger amounts, as in cooking and baking, these calories and carbohydrate should be accounted for by carbohydrate counting or by using starch/bread exchanges.  As an example, one half cup of SPLENDA® Granulated contributes 12 grams of carbohydrates and 11 to 20 grams are counted as one starch exchange.

In SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Packets, sucralose is combined with maltodextrin and dextrose.  These ingredients contribute 1 gram of carbohydrate and four calories per packet.  Therefore, four packets may be considered a free food in a diet for diabetes.  When used in greater quantities, the calories and carbohydrate from the maltodextrin and dextrose should be accounted for by carbohydrate counting or by using starch/bread exchanges."

================================

Granny - What tests? Please post your findings so forum readers may view these test results for themselves. I have yet to read anything that contradicts Splenda's claim, the sugar industry hasn't so who has?

And, studies/research indicate that artificial sweeteners encourage the tastes for sweet but the jury is still out on that. I feel its still up to the individual to control their craving and to stop putting the blame elsewhere.
You betcha!  It raises mine.  I might as well eat real sugar!
Blessings
Tink
Not all Splenda is sugar free. Only the Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated claims "With no sugar added". Buyer beware.