Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Sudden onset of black spots on skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Sudden onset of black spots on skin

Recently, i was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. I weigh about 80lbs and am 5'2" tall and am 34yrs old. I am also currently suffering from neuropathic pain all over my body. In addition, about a dozen or so small black spots have begun to appear around my body (arms and trunk). I'm concerned about the sudden onset of the black spots, the edges are even and they are not irregular in shape, they are about 1 to 2 mm and are very slightly raised. Should i be concerned?
  • i have bruising (1 replies):
    sometimes when i wake up in the moring, i have large bla...[more]
  • black toenail (3 replies):
    My husband is 47 years old, 6'2", and weighs 285 lbs. H...[more]
  • Blackout spells (1 replies):
    Type one diabetes runs in our family. My mom has it. A d...[more]
  • What to do? (2 replies):
    my mother in law whose 59 has had diabetes for a long ti...[more]
  • putz1 (1 replies):
    can low blood sugar cause a black out for a few seconds ...[more]
I have never heard of the black spots being a side effect of diabetes. You should get it checked out very soon.  Question? Has your weight always been this low?  Are you sure it is diabetic neuropathy?  You said you were diagnosed recently? How is your diabetes being treated?  Were you overweight before? or did you drop weight when you found out you were diabetic? I know lots of questions not all related to your spots.  What kind of numbers do you get when you check your B.S.?  Have you had the 3 month ac1 test. May have spelled that wrong but it is the average of your sugars. The blood is taken at a lab usually.
The spots? I would call your doctor. It may be some kind of fungus , but please don't ignore it!!  My son had something that sounds similar on his feet.  He refused to go to the doctor.... they itched. I had him get antifungal powder.    Hope to hear how you make out!!!