Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Sugar fasting 101 am i diabetic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Sugar fasting 101 am i diabetic?

last week i had 98 and today its 101 so iam worried abt myself.I didnt take PP as last time it was just 96

But glucose fasting result making me worried :(

Iam 29 male

"last week i had 98 and today its 101 "
I wouldn't be too concerned unless fasting glucose consistently remained between >100 mg/dl and <125 mg/dl , prediabetes. Do you know a bit of exercising helps to burn off excess glucose?

"I didnt take PP as last time it was just 96"
What is "PP"? Preprandial? Postprandial? Priority Precedence? Program Plan?
Are you concerned about the upward trend in your readings?  If so, assuming that you did the testing with a "home" blood glucose meter, and that you tested at the same time each day, your readings are well within the accuracy range of the meter.
Thanks all

Actually its Post Postprandial and i did take this test at lab not home.Is tehre any way i can avoid this without taking pills?
Postprandial rises are usually contributed to the foods you eat. Avoid foods made with white flour - breads, crackers - overcooked pasta, white rice, and potatoes as these quickly get digested. The quicker a food is digested the quicker their sugars enter your bloodstream. Doesn't mean you cannot eat these foods just pay careful attention to portion sizes. Also, lowering your carbohydrate intake helps a lot too.
Thanks Wave

Yours suggestion matters for me i have planed to take lesser calorie food for 1 week and then will try to take fasting test again
Hi there,
You've got 2  fasting readings of 98 and 101 which indicates that you are a pre-diabetic. I hope that I am wrong.
You are 29, I guess you consume soda drinks quite often. Correct me if I am wrong.  
To know for sure if you are a pre-diabetic or not, then go buy a self-test kit for diabetes called A1C Now, made by Bayer, available at Wal-mart or Walgreens, for about $25 dollars. This kit is VERY acurate. Follow instructions, then within 5 minutes, you'll see the results.
If you wanna see a Doctor for Diabetes diagnosis, to me, go see an Endo only.
Common or Family  Doctors knows next to nothing about diabetes.
Good luck.
Buddy - Be sure to include some sort of 30-60 minute daily exercise, like walking for example. Exercise helps to:
• Burn off excess fat
• Improve insulin production which helps lower glucose levels
• Lower blood pressure
• Improve overall health

When exercising the body requires fuel/energy. It gets this from your muscles and liver. Walking briskly like you're late to catching your airplane flight makes the muscles and liver release stored glucose, in turn you burn this off. Continued exercise cause the muscles to store excess glucose for future use. This lowers your glucose levels.

At this stage you already know you are prediabetic. There is no need for an A1c meter. This where the home glucose meter becomes a useful tool. I'm not certain of the health protocols in India regarding home glucose meter purchases. In the States they run around $10-15 American and can be found at most all drug/pharmacy stores. If you are uncertain call your doctor and ask him/her. Test first thing in morning [fasting] then 2-3 hours after a meal [postprandial]. The latter tells you how the foods you consumed affected your glucose levels. Avoid/restrict those that do. Instead of waiting a week to find out if what you did works you can do this multiple times a day.  HTH
@Wave

"• Improve insulin production which helps lower glucose levels "

How can i do this?
sorry i see u already mentioned it :)
"Hi there,
Good luck. "

I came to this post because I noticed you are almost in the same position as I am.  I'm 27 and I only had one test done but it showed 101.  It is not something to really worry about.  Everyone has said the correct information here.  Exercise is your friend, and it's something humans must do more and more as they age... not less.

Be skeptic of the internet as well.  Some people will give wrong information trying to advertise or sell something.  You have any idea how many times I've heard that HIV can be spread through kissing by individuals and websites trying to sell their own home testing kits?

Even though 101 falls under the "Pre-diabetic range."  You are NOT diabetic, and exercising and eating right WILL keep you diabetes free... AND FURTHERMORE even keep you out of the prediabetes range as well.

thanx dragon for nice words :)