Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Toe removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Toe removal

I am trying desperately to have a toe removed (1st digit) that will not heal. It's been infected twice since last October. That last time I was diagnosed with MRSA. I'm currently been treated (???) at Contra Costa County Medical because I am without insurance and homeless. I'm a long term diabetic (27 years) and this foot problem has inhibited my ability to walk for sustained periods. This is the only excercise that I enjoy and that which is also done without expense. My BS has been poor with my last A1c at 10+. I just quit smoking - there is one thing off the list. I returned to using Lanthos (80 units per day) and even with Glyburide, I am unable to manage my BS levels. My BP is also unmanageable and the only solution that has worked for me in the past is walking - 20+ miles a day. I have been seen by the wound care people and all they offer is a ridiculous shoe to wear that is completely impractical. My question is two-fold: How can I force these people to remove the toe? and failing that, what resources can you recommend that would allow me to learn how to safely do the procedure myself?

Praying that I will find a true doctor out there and with my deepest gratitude.

Dennis
Please, please, do not consider doing the procedure yourself. That is a sure why to make the problem so much worse and likely to kill yourself. That is not a rational idea. Trust me.

I would just continue bothering the doctor(s) and letting them know your situation is intolerable. The goal is always to save a digit, so unless the risk is that you will lose the whole foot, the removal is a last resort. Please remain open to other options for your own well-being. I know it is difficult when you are relying on free medical care, but there are some caring people that work in such places. Find one and work with them to solve your problem. By the way, you might also want to ask for a short-acting insulin to use before meals. If you are only taking Lantus (I assume that's what you meant) it is near impossible to control blood sugar. Good luck to you. I understand you are very desperate, but don't give up on getting appropriate help and don't risk your life.

Here's my 2 cents; don't self operate unless you want a painful death. Being homeless and w/o insurance causes Contra Costa Medical Center [CCMC] not to provide the medical care you need at the center. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It appears you have access to computers at a public library. "Google Contra Costa County homeless medical care", look for cchealth>services>homeless. CCMC has a medical van that visits homeless shelters and community centers on a weekly basis. On that page, the schedule is published listing the center and days the van visits. Among the Google search hits you will find other medical services/centers for the homeless all within your 20 mile walking distance. Hit 'em all up until you find the treatment you expect. Good luck.
Great info, waverider!