Type 1 or 2
Hello. First time posting as I've been diagnosed diabetic only 2 weeks ago. I'm a 30 year old woman, in good health with no other known medical issues, until now. I recently found out that I am diabetic but the doctors can't detemine which type. (I know they can do an antibody test but for some reason it was cancelled.)

Here were/are my symptoms so I want to get opinions on type 1 or 2...extreme thirst, fever, sluggish and tired, loss of appetite,  keytones in urine, KDA, A1C was 7.9%, low potassium, resting heart rate above 110, extreme vision change and vitamin d deficiency.  Blood sugars were anywhere from 300's to 506 at highest point.

I had flu-like sickness with a sinus infection and bronchitis earlier in December. Can a sickness cause diabetes to appear out of nowhere?  This was just something that hit me out of nowhere...other than my parents being  diasgnosed diabetic in their 50's and 60's.

I'm on insulin for now and metformin trying to get my sugars under control. I spent a night in hospital trying to get this sorted out. I just want opinions while I wait to get into a specialist. Thanks! :-)
Yes you NEED a GAD  antibody test.  the reason "they" dont do it is it makes little difference as to what type you are "they" find the treatment that works for YOU.  However     insurance treats T1 and T2 differently.
You're right. The doctors at the hospital didn't seem too concerned with finding out which type I was since my treatment is the same either way for the time being. I, on the other hand, am dying to know which way this domino is going to fall since it will influence the rest of my life. I hope at my follow-up appointment on Thursday, my PCP will do the antibody test or I can get into an endocrinologist asap to have it done.
Hi, three month ago I almost had these symptoms and was diagnosed with type 2 . Meds made it worse for me so I looked into diets to help  and stumbled upon the ketogenic diet it help me a lot to manage the sugar levels , but sense you do a lot more meds than I did I recommend that your doctor readjust your meds if you are going to do this diet because it really lowers the auger a lot that the meds would be too much , I hope this helps you too .
Hi, based on presentation with very high blood sugars, but relatively low Hba1c, this would indicate a rapid onset of high blood sugars, suggestive of type 1.  

Type 1 diabetes is certainly known to be triggered by viral illness.

Testing for type of diabetes becomes relevant when it comes to insurance coverage (type 1 tend to get broader coverage than type 2 - unfair as this may seem).

When you see an endocrinologist you should be tested for type 1.  This will include antibody panel, testing for c-peptide etc.

You may find eating low carb diet will be beneficial to assisting managment.  You will have a steep learning curve ahead, but you can do this.

Really good resource books, both avaialble from Amazon, or maybe your local library, are:-

Think Like a Pancreas
Diabetes Solutions

I wondered if diabetes could come on so quickly and if so, which type it usually is. I am watching my carbs, along with being on long-acting Lantus
Tbd
beatjuExternal User
Yes
Tbd
beatjuExternal User
yes
A sickness can trigger type 1 diabetes from what I understand.  I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was nine after having pneumonia.  The symptoms you describe I think have more to do with high blood sugar than the type of diabetes.  Which insulin(s) are you currently taking? With insulin you should be able to get your blood sugars under control pretty quickly.  I would have the antibody test done as soon as you can.  
I'm on Lantus. I started at 10 units a night then have increased one unit a night until my fasting morning levels are norma, which they are around 180's now. Since my sugars were so high, my doctor didn't think it would be best to lower them suddenly but slowly over time.  It's been about 16 days since this whole diagnosis so I'm still not in the normal range.

I was just curious what type people thought I might have while I wait for my antibody test results to come back.
Hi Chelsey, so sorry this has happened to you and you are still looking for answers. Glad our members could help. I just wanted to let you know we have a Type 1 forum here as well, if you end up being diagnosed with Type 1 as some are predicting. Here's a link to our Type 1 community and please do come back to the forums and let us know your diagnosis and how it's going!

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Diabetes---Type-1/show/220
I finally got a blood draw for the antibody test! I should know the results early next week...I am so anxious. I'm in this state of limbo at the moment because the doctors and I just aren't sure what exactly were dealing with. Yeah, we know it's discrete but other than that lol. I'm having to adjust my long-acting insulin (Lantus) almost every night because my fasting morning sugars are still higher than the ideal. I started at 10 units a night when diagnosed and now I'm up to 22 units. Is that a high dosage? It's all so new to me so I don't know if that's a sign of type 1 or 2? I was never put on a short-acting insulin so I just rely on Metformin and Lantus at the moment.

It's just so strange, to me, to go from nothing wrong (other than a 'typical' sickness) to being diabetic. My estimated A1C now (based off my blood sugar numbers from this app for the last 2 weeks) is 10.4%. That's quite high, right?

Finally, I will see an endocrinologist next week too! More answers hopefully will be coming!
Chelsey, this is called the dawn phenomenon, and we have an article on it. There have also been some threads on it recently with advice.

http://www.medhelp.org/diabetes/articles/Whats-the-Dawn-Phenomenon/1728

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Diabetes---Type-2/High-morning-numbers/show/2930176
Here is another article, from MedHelp.org and the Sugar Sense app, on what your ideal numbers should be. 10.4% is a high A1C; most diabetics shoot for less than 7%

http://www.medhelp.org/diabetes/articles/The-ABCs-of-Diabetes/2327
I'm still waiting on the antibody results. But based off the lab results I have gotten and the research I have done on those, it looks like it may be type 2. Not totally for sure as a doctor has not said.  I go back to my regular doctor tomorrow and my endocrinologist next week. I would say this unknown phase will finally be over then!!