Aa
A
A
Close
Type 2 Diabetic with CKD
My grandmother, 75 yrs of age, is a diabetic for past 15-20 years, taking metformin (2g daily) plus insulin (40+35). Where I am from we don't usually give a basal bolus regimen, just 70/30 in morning and evening. She also has history of IHD one year back.

Recently, her renal function tests revealed a creatinine of 2.0 (178micromole/L). Her GFR according to MDRD equation is less than 30. This clearly means metformin should be stopped.

However, when I stopped her metformin, she developed high blood glucose (9.7 fasting), so now I am not sure what to do? Are oral agents really needed with insulin for glucose control? And if not, how many units am I to increase her morning/evening insulin dose on each adjustment? How frequently to monitor? I myself am a doctor, so I know to always get the patient checked before any modification in treatment, but I just thought to also obtain the view of any experienced doctor over the internet as well. Any help would he appreciated.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
19383564 tn?1477513584
Hi Pleomorphism,

Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes forum on MedHelp and thanks for posting! I'm the community manager here at MedHelp.

Our communities are now patient-to-patient communities. We no longer offer expert doctor advice. Our community members can provide advice from their own experience with Metformin, but we always recommend checking with a physician before making changes to any drug regimen.

Thanks!
Kendra
MHCommunityManager
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,
the most important thing that you can do to help your grandmother's kidney function is to keep blood sugars as close to normal as possible.

This will involve taking her medications (insulin / metformin) and eating lower carb meals, along with close monitoring of blood sugar levels.

please discuss with her dr whether it is appropriate to modify her medications, as this is not something we can comment on from this online community.

Wishing you and your grandmother good health.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Do You Have Vascular Disease? Help Us With a User Study - $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 2-minute survey that will help us help people with vascular conditions like PAD.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 gift card for their time.
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
675718 tn?1449992146
Blank
drifter0213 commented on 45
7 hrs ago
406584 tn?1399591666
Blank
10356 commented on 45
Feb 19
1236893 tn?1486835591
Blank
gymdandee commented on The Unintended Conseq...
Feb 17
Diabetes - Type 2 Community Resources