Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Urine smelling like a strong scent of amonia(ammonia) ?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Urine smelling like a strong scent of amonia(ammonia) ?

Please can some one tell me why does my urine smell like ammonia its so strong i am embarrassed i need pads galore to change for i urine at time some lilte small quantity here and there like when i laugh or get up or move fast??i am diabetic type 2 .i have lots of chronic,s illness ?i told me Doctor and she said it was because i did not drank enough maybe ?But i am drinking a lot and more since i was told that it could the reason that my urine smell like ammonia. Can some one tell me if they have this and why ?
Tags: urine smelling amonia, dry vagina at times, taking lots of pristcrition, glucose is high in blood, sore lower belly, scent really strong, Don, t want to go out because it sm
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
987762_tn?1331031553
Hey Rita,

Your question has come through to the MS community, and not the diabetic community, so ammonia smelling urine may not be something many have experienced. I'd heard of it but couldn't remember much, so I did a simple google search "diabetic urine smells of ammonia", there is a lot that comes up that you might find helpful in understanding it.  

It seems that the smell of urine is a strong indicator for diabetics, the ammonia smell in a diabetic is usually due to dehydration, so yes not drinking enough can be the reason for your urine smelling like ammonia. There are other causes too, and i would hope that it wasn't just assumed to be because you have diabetes and that you have had tests to rule them out eg urinary track infection.

This lists common causes http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ammonia-smelling-urine-in-women.html

cheers..........JJ

Blank
5303361_tn?1366215909
Check this article: http://www.knowswhy.com/why-does-urine-smell-like-ammonia/

Very good explaination.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
Paxiled commented on How much arsenic is i...
Dec 26
11574110_tn?1419509307
Blank
IDev commented on photo
Dec 26
1806721_tn?1388096157
Blank
Pregnancy journal (14 weeks)
Dec 24 by Annie_777
Diabetes - Type 2 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949