Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Urine smelling like a strong scent of amonia(ammonia) ?

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Please can some one tell me why does my urine smell like ammonia its so strong i am embarrassed i need pads galore to change for i urine at time some lilte small quantity here and there like when i laugh or get up or move fast??i am diabetic type 2 .i have lots of chronic,s illness ?i told me Doctor and she said it was because i did not drank enough maybe ?But i am drinking a lot and more since i was told that it could the reason that my urine smell like ammonia. Can some one tell me if they have this and why ?
Tags: urine smelling amonia, dry vagina at times, taking lots of pristcrition, glucose is high in blood, sore lower belly, scent really strong, Don, t want to go out because it sm
Hey Rita,

Your question has come through to the MS community, and not the diabetic community, so ammonia smelling urine may not be something many have experienced. I'd heard of it but couldn't remember much, so I did a simple google search "diabetic urine smells of ammonia", there is a lot that comes up that you might find helpful in understanding it.  

It seems that the smell of urine is a strong indicator for diabetics, the ammonia smell in a diabetic is usually due to dehydration, so yes not drinking enough can be the reason for your urine smelling like ammonia. There are other causes too, and i would hope that it wasn't just assumed to be because you have diabetes and that you have had tests to rule them out eg urinary track infection.

This lists common causes http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ammonia-smelling-urine-in-women.html

cheers..........JJ

Check this article: http://www.knowswhy.com/why-does-urine-smell-like-ammonia/

Very good explaination.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status