Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Very low carb diet

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Very low carb diet

Has anyone tried very low carb diet for managing diabetes, and preventing or minimising the use of insulin?

It appears that all of a sudden my blood sugar is now 'diabetic' and I can't seem to tolerate regular diet any more if I want normal blood sugars.

I know many diabetics, Sally, both types, who use a very low carb diet (following Dr. Bernstein's regimen which is, I believe 30 grams a day) with great success. Some people use that diet to stave off using medication for as long as possible; some for longterm management of numbers with less need for meds and insulin. I myself only eat a " moderate low" diet of about 100 carbs per day. That is a choice for me as I'm a vegetarian and love cooking gourmet meals and it would be almost impossible to go much lower without losing what I love. If you want, send me a PM and I'll give you two websites where you can read and talk to many of these people. (I'm not allowed to include these in posts).
Thanks Zoelula.  I'll PM you.

Just got word from my endo that i'm to start insulin immediately (they will be very aggressive because I am undergoing fertility treatment at the moment - waiting to see if the last try worked).  Am out of the country at the moment, but will start tomorrow once I'm back and can get supplies.

Yesterday I ate very low carb all day and the sugars were within target.  So definitely this is the way to go (even with insulin).
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
MH Community Mgr commented on stacey10's status
8 mins ago
Eliminate This ONE Ingredient and W...
Jun 25 by gymdandee
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
Jun 24