Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Weight loss or weight gain

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Weight loss or weight gain

Hello:

I am a little confused. I was told that with my diabitic medication, it will also help me lose my weight. However, web docs say I will gain. What is correct? I am 184 and need it at 174.  HgB A1C is 6.5%. I also have to take Thyroid medication.
It depends on the medication. Metformin, the most commonly prescribed type 2 medication does help with weight loss. But mostly you need to cut carbs (good for blood sugar management anyway), reduce fat and increase exercise. Also make sure your thyroid is stable  as that of course affects weight as well. Congratulations on your A1C!
Diet and exercise is critical with both hypothyroid and diabetes for good weight management/ weight loss.  

You can head across to the thyroid forum for some more info on making sure your levels are optimal.

Your HA1C is not so high, so I'd guess they'd have started you on metformin.  This drug often helps with weight loss.  Regardless, you won't gain if you pay close attention to diet.  Reduce the carbs, particularly anything processed and refined.  Don't eat too much fruit.  Get a blood sugar monitor and test regularly. Before breakfast in the morning and 2 hours after start of eating.  This will let you see the effects of different foods on your blood sugar and help you tailor what you eat.

Thank you for your suggestions. Boy, fighting weight gain is not easy.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
Pain Tracker: Nap
52 mins ago by blukitty
Barb135 commented on SOY
senseanonymous  commented on SOY