Diabetes - Type 2 Community
What are normal blood sugar levels?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

What are normal blood sugar levels?

Before and after a meal?
Normal fasting Preprandial [b4 meal] is 60/70 to 99 mg/dl
Normal Postprandial [2-3 hrs after meal] should equal normal fasting. Type 2 diabetics should aim for <141 mg/dl, an improved goal is <121 mg/dl.

You may find web sites touting postprandial up to 181 mg/dl which is, in my books, very high. And makes me wonder if drug firm sponsorship comes into play. The higher ones levels the more drugs one needs. The lower ones levels the least amount of drugs one needs.

Use an online mg/dl to mmol/l conversion tool if your country of residence supports the latter.
Hi WaveRider,

the 180 is ADA recommendation. This is apparently mainly driven by the 'party line' on the need to avoid hypoglycaemia.  ADA also recommends HBA1C of 7 as acceptable for persons with diabetes, which is nearly double of non-diabetics, who will have a HBA1C in the range of 4.3- 4.6.

However, with blood sugars of 180 (and if that is the average it means the person also has much higher sugars as well) it is guaranteed that there will eventually be diabetic complications.

If someone dies of heart disease or stroke or has amputations and ulcers, or goes blind from diabetic retinopathy, etc, these are 'accepted' as normal sequelae of diabetes.  If someone dies of hypoglycaemia - maybe the dr would be sued.

However, people with diabetes need to know that it is possible and necessary to keep blood sugars in the normal range (of 80 - 120, and ideally 80 -100), and by doing so there is no need to have any complications of diabetes at all.  

Note that this level of 80-120 is the same as that recommended for persons with diabetes who get pregnant as it is the level at which diabetic complications of pregnancy can be avoided.  

I am a big fan of Dr. Richard Bernstein, who has had diabetes since he was 12 (more than 60 years now) and reversed all his complications by following a very low carb diet, and by using insulin and other meds to normalise blood sugars).
I'm 28 weeks and 5 days pregnant and my blood sugar after eating dinner (30 minutes or so) was 79. Should i be concerned?

Normal blood sugars in pregnant women are actually LOWER than normal blood sugars in non-pregnant persons.  The totally normal range in pregnancy is somewhere between about 65 and 100.

A blood sugar of 79 30 minutes or so after eating is totally normal, and shows no signs of diabetes at all.

You should be very pleased with this number.

Of course, eat healthy and avoid excess sweets.  Take regular moderate exercise.  Wishing you a healthy pregnancy.  Congratulations on  your coming baby.