Diabetes - Type 2 Community
What is the life expectancy of untreated diabetes Type 2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

I'm trying to find an honest answer (no sugar coating - no pun intended) for my question.  My husband is a Type 2 diabetic and refuses to go to the doctor to get assistance for this or his other medical conditions.  His last to sugar reading since APRIL are 368 in August and 670 in April!  He refuses to take it more often advising that: 1- he knows when it's high!  2- He can control it.  This as you might imagine is causing other complications.  Hypertension 180/140.  His response: His work and our children are causing it.  Sleep Apnea, he stops breathing for 18 seconds and increasing (or should I say decreasing) in length between breaths all the time.  His answer: he doesn't need as much o2 as everyone else.  When he can't get to sleep, he has a beer and then can "sleep".  My sense is that he's going into a coma from high blood sugar!?!Yes he has an irregular heart beat.  Sometimes skipping every other beat.  And will pound/restart hard enough that he wakes up screaming.  I can also feel his heart beat through his chest cavity.  Yes, he's having trouble seeing.  How bad?  He's not able to see a stamp on an envelope OR peoples faces and expressions as they walk by or he's talking with them.  He claims this is because of all the time he is on the computer (his work).  

Yes I've tried talking to him about those I know that were amputees, that "doesn't apply to him".  I say yet!!! I've tried talking to him about our children and leaving them behind.  NO IMPACT.  When his sugar was 670 I finally got him to go to the doctors/er and his response when we left was, "see I knew they wouldn't do anything" and "they think it's the I.V. that lowered it.  I'm at a loss as to what to do or say.  His denial and defenses are way to HIGH to receive me (or anyone else IE: his mother, sisters, pastor etc.).  So, I'm now looking at how long he's got left.  He's had it for around 10 years and the only thing I've been able to find is for a 55 year old man.  He's had it since at least 40, so age 55 doesn't count/apply unless I can have a formula for someone that is younger and what impact that gives from diagnosis.  

I know this isn't a pleasant topic, but I need to make "plans".  From what I can tell, he's probably going to have an MI or CVA, both of which run in his family!!!  Any and all help would/is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!
He does not want to go to doctor. Tell him to do this pranayam, to maintain health.If he does this, you will not need to worry about how long he has.
These pranayam exercises will help control the diabetes and the other problems.Build up the timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after about a minute.The benefits will be noticed in weeks as the sugar level is checked regularly.Over the long term the diabetes will be in full control.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently(once in 2 seconds).

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril
then -keeping the left nostril closed deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years -  do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Also everyday, press the centre point of the palm of both your  hands 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.
To stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin: mandukasan(not for pregnant women) - kneel down(with feet pointing inwards,and sit on the ankles/heels, Vajrasan position), breathe in and breathe out completely and hold your breath, pull the stomach in, press both your  hands on stomach, bend forward as much as possible keeping the head straight, hold for 5 to 15 seconds and come back up while breathing in. Repeat  this 3 times daily  to stimulate the kidney and pancreas.Mandukasan2 - Repeat the whole process,but this time with with fists of both hands pressing against the stomach.Mandukasan can be done sitting on a chair, if you cannot bend the legs.
Continue the breathing exercises once a day, after the diabetes is in full control.
hello, what an awful situation!

From what you describe, he is a walking time bomb.  I can't say how long, but think it would be a few years at most. His numbers are catastrophically high, and he's obviously got major complications now.  But the sleep apnea worries me even more.  Sleep apnea can also cause brain damage, with behavioural implications.

Make the most of every day with him.  If you are making meals make sure they are lower carb.  I don't know how you could get through to him?  A group intervention by everyone who loves him?

make sure you have got yourself a support network built up for you and your children.