Why do I have high morning blood glucose levels
I take 500mg extended release metformin twice a day, morning and bedtime. All of my morning blood glucose test are high and average between 145-190. By lunch time they go back in range 115-125 and by late afternoon 90-110. What is causing the high level in the morning?
I've noticed this too and I've been taking the same Metformin as you. From what I've read up on, it's normal for T2 to have a somewhat high blood sugar reading and by mid morning go down. I don't know if it's from dinner or what but I've noticed the same thing as well. My doctor also just put me on Trulicity and it has actually helped with the Metformin. Maybe you can talk to your provider and see what y'all can do to help with your morning readings. I hope that somewhat helped. ☺️
could be dawn phenomenon Your liver releases glucagon (sugar) to get you going, the problem is your pancreas is not releasing enough insulin to keep BG in check.  Met helps to reduce the liver dumps.  Could be you need more Met  2000mg is the max dose so you have room to take more.
Are you eating lower carb?  Exercising?  These may help lower blood sugars further.

If these additional approaches are not enough, you may need additional meds or a change in meds.

Ideally blood sugars will be consistently in the 80 - 120 range, with fasting and before eating  preferably at the lower end of that, to be truly normal.
What do you eat for breakfast?  Suggest a low carb breakfast (stick to meat, non-starchy veges, eggs).

Yes, it could be dawn phenomenon.

People's insulin sensitivity can vary over the day, and you may also be more prone to higher sugar levels earlier in the day.

A brisk walk or other exercising in the morning upon rising (in addition to low carb breakfast) may also help.  
Morning sugar high are due to taking carbo rich food in night or taking dinner in more quantity