Diabetes - Type 2 Community
bed wetting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

bed wetting

I googled Adult Bed Wetting and a couple of sites said that the onset of it could be a symptom of Type II diabetes.

I woke up this morning with a wet bed. This is the second time this year that this has happened to me. I am mortified and embarrassed. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet but I am over weight and don't always eat properly. I have had a history of hypoglycemia (which I have been told is a precursor to diabetes).

Has anyone here experienced this? If so, what can be done about it?

I know it's an embarrassing subject so please PM me  if you want to help but don't want to make it public...

PC

Sorry for the tardy response.

All I can do is relate my early experiences with diabetes and frequent urination (polyurea) to you. Just prior to being oficially diagnosed a diabetic I had a marked increase in frquency of urinations during the day time and I would have to get up at least 3-4 times during the night. On one occasion I did wet the bed and suffered the same embarrasment that you said you felt.

You should be examined by a physician to see if you are a diabetic or if there are any other problems that might contribute to your urination problems. I can tell you that when I got my diabetes under controll I also gained control of my frequent urinations and had no more bed wetting incidents.

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.
HUH? Your post is contradictory. First you say, "I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet but I am over weight and don't always eat properly." Then the very next sentence you say, "I have had a history of hypoglycemia..." Was this or is this history self diagnosed?

As you may have read bed wetting in adult diabetes is rare/uncommon and requires you to be evaluated by a doctor.

Diabetic here, also suffer the bedwetting blues.  When I advised my doc though she had be go through a "sleep test" (not sure what it was called).  In any cased what was revealed was that I suffer Sleep Apnea and needed a CPAP machine.  Apparently that was the problem.  Without the CPAP I simply did not wake up during the night when I needed to go to the bathroom.  With the CPAP the problem resolved.  Only problem though is that there is a chance that in your sleep you may take the CPAP off your face. (Neither she nor I could figure out what that problem was,)

Anyway, you need to check with your physician.  Diabetic or not, if you suffer Sleep Apnea you need to be checked.  Don't be afraid or ashamed to admit the problem to the doctor, they've heard everything I have found!!!

Good Luck,

Anita
Troytroy...Thank you for your response...

WaveRider...Yes...self diagnosed hypoglycemia...since I was a teen I have had issues with low blood sugar that I had learned to control with diet. If eat a well balanced meal with a good amount of protien I don't suffer the dive...when I googled Adult Bedwetting I got a lot of info pointing to diabetes...that is why I came here...to ask about the issue from people with diabetes

I had been tested for diabetes about 6 years ago and was found to be without it. Now I am a bit older and have gained more weight...I went through a mild chemo treatment last year and haven't been the same since. I have no energey.

Sister...I did have a sleep study done about 6 years ago also...they lost the results...but because of my weight issues I know that I have sleep apnea...I have to sleep in certain positions to keep from snoring the house down around me...

The whole bed wetting thing is recent...but now it's happend 3 times this year...never before this year since infancy...I'm in my mid 40's this is crazy.

Just to let ya'll know.... Diabetes is High and Low Sugar! You can be hypoglycemic without being diagnosed as a full diabetic. I know I was one of those people. I now have type 2 and am apparently one step from type 1. I am here on this page cause I too have been experiencing bed wetting and it is getting worse. Docs have put me through tests and none so far will give me an explination(sp?) as to why I do this crap all of a sudden. Was hoping to find better answers online. Anyhow, just a lil diabetic info to those whom don't know the difference.
I'm sorry but there is no such thing as "type 2 one step away from type 1". Your type does not change. You can be type 2 and become insulin dependent over time but you remain type 2. They are very different conditions, type 2 is characterized by insulin resistance, type 1 is an autoimmune disorder in which your body produces little or no insulin. There are, however, some people diagnosed as adults who were initially misdiagnosed as type 2 due to age but who are, in fact, something called LADA/1.5. They are basically type 1's but with a slower loss of insulin production. (I'm one of those)
Stop self diagnosing go to doctor do not make same mistake I did. I kept denying I could have it even though every male on my fathers side was diabetic. I too started bedwetting but kept saying it was a passing phase till one morning I went to get out of bed and my legs would not move. I went to docotr and straight to emergency sugar was 850 he kept stating I was lucky I wasn't dead. To make long story short I had nerve damage and can not feel theurge to go to bathroom now so wearing diapers 24x7. Do not be stupid like me take care of it !!!!
This the same reason I am awake for the 4th consecutive day at 4:30a. Luckily I had adult diapers before so after wetting our bed at home once i began to wear them to bed  good thing too as i have wet myself every night since and am on vacation in hotels  but I see now that not using my CPAP could cause the problem. Plus I am type II  diabetic and have left sided numbness. I am so embarrassesd!

don't be embarrassed.  Doctors have seen everything.  It may be from your diabetes or it could be something else (ie. urinary tract infection).  But urgent medical attention is highly recommended.

Is your blood sugar well controlled?  If not, I would recommend strongly that you take measures to get it well controlled.  WIth diet, exercise and medication.  Complications can be reversed / reduced if good control is acheived.

Please ask any further questions.

Please do make a new post next time so we can easily see your post, rather than having it tacked on to the end of an old post.

Best wishes