Diabetes - Type 2 Community
blood sugar wont go down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

blood sugar wont go down

My diabetes II is out of whack, i cannot get blood sugar under 260 , i also have active hep c i am currently on actos, and just feel horrilbe all the time, no energy, feel sick to stomach, headache, shortness of breath, have nuerapothy in both feet and upper legs,, would it be wise to just go on insulin a1c is 10.... help (also called dr. waiting for reply)
Change your diet rapidly, and completely. It will be very hard at first, but you can get there. You might even feel pretty bad during the first week, but it is worth it. The following guidelines have been developed by a hospital in Germany for diabetes patients, and they called it LOGI (low gi). My Dad eats like this for 5 years, and he is pretty fine on it. I am a nutrition scientist, and I could not find anything wrong with it, either. Eat lost of fresh vegetables and fruits, snack on at least one handful of raw nuts like walnut, pecan or brasil nuts, eat at least two serves of fish a week, use olive or canola oil, eat lean cuts of meat, eggs, and low fat dairy. Cut your intake of sugar, honey and starches dramatically (no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, no bread). In a nutshell: increase protein, good fats and veggies, decrease bad fats and sugar/starch. This will keep you satiated, reduce your blood sugar, reduce your inflammation markers. Here some meal ideas: unsweetened low fat yoghurt with LSA or nuts and apples for breakfast, some eggs.  A handful of nuts for a snack. Lunch: huge salad with mixed veggies and greens with thuna or a grilled steak. Celery with almond butter or carrots stick with hummus as a snack. beef stir fry with bok choi, broccoli, onions for dinner, or a steamed fish filet with roasted pumpkin, carrots and beetroot. Good luck! BTW, tell your GP that you will change your diet that way.  
  • newly diagnosed (25 replies):
    my husband has been told he is type 2 diabetic he is mi...[more]
  • HELP (2 replies):
    I am a 16 year old who was just diagnosed with Type 1 di...[more]
Hi there,
You wrote:
Have nuerapothy in both feet and upper legs,, would it be wise to just go on insulin a1c is 10....
I have been a 20 years plus Diabetic2, 4 years ago, I was in your shoes,
I had nerve pains at night, just like any long time diabetic 2 will suffer this :neuropathic pains. Today, I no longer have any neuropathic pains, I simply keep my glucose level less than 140mm  AT AL TIMES, by follow DR. Richard Beirstein rule:(6,12,12). Read his book:Diabetes Solutions or log onto Amazon.com . read the reviews of this book. Insulin injection only works if the diabetes 2 patience consume only low carb meaning:(6,12,12) or no carb foods.
To study further  how to lower your blood sugar, I suggest that you at least log onto these 2 websites: Bloodsugar101.com or diabetesdaily.com/forum
or read my profile , you will see that how I succesfully stop my diabetes progression naturally, I no longer need any medications, you can too.
my latest A1C reading  was also 5.6% taken March 31.12. Good luck
Absolutely you should be on insulin!!!  If your doctor won't prescribe this by now, you need to change doctors.

The books mentioned above are all excellent and well worth reading and following the advice.

If you are on insulin another excellent book is "Using Insulin" by John Walsh..

Focus also on diet and exercise, along with insulin.  YOu will be able to get your life back!

You need to take control and responsibility for this.

You can do it!
Thanks for all the answears, i see from the above a have a range of helpful answers, i go see dr today and think he is going to put me on nighttime insulin injections, i do agree a good diet will help and exercise, ive been dieting for years now (on and off) and was able to keep in  check, but now it doesnt seem to work anymore and im am just feeling too horrible to go on like this. i am using up vacation time like water because i am not functioning and just feel like hell..... i no this is probably the quick fix but i need a fix , that is why i am asking ...............thanks for all the input , i will take all this good info to dr today and let you know what comes of it...
p.s.     I will read the books suggested , thanks
   Went to dr. put me on insulin, started me off with 10 units, and i have to call in every morn with reading.  I know that diet and exercise are very important and have been trying to do those things, but it sounds easier than it is, and at this time I kinda feel like i took the easy way out, but my blood sugar was not going down, even if I starved myself. I was very scared about my decision to do this but i guess the bottom line is if I didnt get it down(blood sugar), I would be worse off and with the hep c being elevated, Dr. felt best to get sugar level down fast or they wont even consider doing treatment for that, still have appt with gastro in couple of days.... thanks for all the answers, every one is right its just so hard to figure out what is best for me with all the issues i have going on .....

I am glad that Dr put you on insulin.  Insulin is not something to be feared or avoided, it is a tool to be used.

Please read the books recommended.  Your overall health is going to improve dramatically once your sugar is under control.  I will send you a private message as well.

Sally

Oh, okay...now I see how you are doing. You are working on controlling yr diabetes, and then going to your Gastro Doc, good call! It sounds like you are staying calm,and being organized, good for you!
  You can say I am staying calm but far from it.  Inside I am tore up, it really ***** to be this sick and still look normal on the outside, people say "you look really good", but little do they know that I feel like I just want to die inside
.  I hope I can get this under control , seems to be working, but damnnnn!!!
it really stinks, I also read your post under my other ?  Thanks for looking out.

I will send you a detailed reply later. Gotta go to work now.  It is normal to feel like this when you first find out.  But it will get better. Please don"t think of yourself as beingt sick.  Just think of this as a condition to be managed.

Sally

I would like to let you know that diabetes is a manageable condition with the right tools (diet, medication, exercise).  Yes, you will need to look after this every day for the rest of your life...  BUT it can be successfully managed and you can avoid complications.  You can and will be well again.

You do need to mourn your change in health, but this is the start of a new healthier you.

Hang in there and keep working at it and reading and learning.

I beleive we need to be educated and responsible for our own health for such a chronic condition....  and use our doctors to help on the medical side as well, of course.

Best wishes
  Thank you !