Diabetes - Type 2 Community
could diabetes cause high BP and unconsciousness?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

I am 40years old indian (asian) woman. Two months back I delivered my second baby. A week after the delivery I had high blood pressure, swelling of my legs and feet, very severe headache and on one day I almost fainted. When checking with my ob/gyn she said it could be an atypical pregnancy or a seizure type condition which sometimes happens and may be I am past that danger now. She recommended I check with my GP for high blood pressure. One time I had to go to the emergency becaus my BP went 170/104 and I had tingling and numbness in my left arm.

From the blood tests I have high cholestrol and high triglycerides. (I had borderline Gestational diabetes which was controlled by diet. My mom is diabetic) While my GP said that I could take cholestrol control pills, my ob/gyn said that these results might not be considered normal because I just delivered a baby. Basically I have conflicting opinions. I do not think the root cause for my blood pressure has been understood, neither the cause for my unconsciousness (though it lasts only for a second or less).

When I went to the emergency a month back, the doctors had me go through ECG and dopler ultrasound of the heart and found no issues with my heart. From MRI of my brain the Neurologist said that I have a very small menigioma and is not of a concern for now. But I might want to check every 1-2 years to make sure everything is alright.
But now two months later, I still have various weird symptoms. My blood pressure generally remains normal 118/86 most of the day. But in the evenings it goes up - 129/89. Sometimes shoots as high as 145/103 and comes down fairly quickly. When I took BP tablets, the BP was coming down as low as 101/65. So my GP recommended that I use it only when the pressure is high. On and off I feel unconcious/ or have a feeling of blanking out for a second and then everything goes back to normal. I don't understand what this means. This occurs 3-4 times a week. Because my previous High BP, fainting type of symptoms happened around 8PM, every day when it is around 8PM, I get very anxious, nervous and sometimes to the extent of losing consciousness... I feel very fatigued.

Can someone tell me what is going on, what is the right course of steps I need to take to understand the root cause of my problems, so they can be treated. I truly appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.
Jey
You are not having flutters in your heart area? Palpitations at all?  That can cause faintness.  Also I  would check with the doctors in expert forum about taking blood pressure meds prn(only when needed) that does not sound like a good idea.  Stay away from salt.  When the bottom number is over 90 its border line hyppertensive, but if its getting over 100 frequently then it needs to be addressed.  Maybe you need to find another physician.  Congrats on the baby! How wonderful to have a baby at your age.  Thats great!  Keep me up to date with you please.
Madge
Thanks for your response. I do not have any flutters or palpitations. The bottom number is mostly around 87 or 2-3 points up or down. My pressure goes up when I am anxious, scared or upset etc. and comes down quickly. What is worrisome is that everyday there are events that make us anxious, upset etc and is hard to control these situations. You had mentioned about expert forum, do you have an URL or recommend any particular forum?

Jey