diabetes and magnesium
I have type II diabetes. What are the benefits of t aking magnesium supplements and which kind should I be taking?
thankx, kate
Before you start taking magnesium supplements you should get blood work done to see where your levels are. The reason for this is too much magnesium causes diarrhea. For diabetics magnesium helps to influence insulin release and productivity.

For supplements, I have found no difference between magnesium oxide and citrate or any "claimed" high potency marketing bs. Your body only can accept so much magnesium in one sitting then it expels the excess. If you can email or call your doctor ask for advice on how much he/she recommends.

Actually, the best way to get magnesium is with foods. An easy way to remember foods that are good magnesium sources is to think fiber. Foods that are high in fiber are generally high in magnesium. Dietary sources of magnesium include legumes, whole grains, vegetables [especially broccoli, squash, and green leafy vegetables], seeds, and nuts [especially almonds]. Other sources include dairy products, meats, chocolate, and coffee. Seafood like salmon and cod are very high sources of magnesium. Water with a high mineral content is also a source of magnesium. Avoid the pill, eat healthier. HTH