diabetic amyotrophy
I have IGT with FBS 120 mg and PPBS 166 mg. But recently i developed Diabetic amyotrophy.
I would like to know the cause of the above condition when my HbA1c is always <7.

This discussion is related to Diabetic Amyotrophy.
I read your post as wanting to know the reason(s) for Diabetic amyotrophy and wondered why you didn't ask your doctor this question. See this web page for help http://tinyurl.com/b8srow
I need advise on the very rare complication AMYOTROPHY
by BoltonladUK,

Tags: amyotrophy, diabetes complications, neurologist, nerve damage, muscle wasting, Arthritis, side effects of drugs, Gabapentin side effects, Neurology, Severe pain, diabetic support group, leg weakness

I have had diabetes type 2 for 5 years and was managing it well with 3 x 500mg Metformin per day and diet and excercise. But unfotunately just before last Christmas I started to experience severe pain in both thighs (quad muscles) and both knees. After being admitted to hospital three times. I was diagnosed with the very rare diabetic complication Amyotrophy also other perrifial neuropathic problems in my lower legs in the shin bone are but not my feet or ankles. The hospital pain management team prescibed the 'convulsion' drug Gabapentin x 300mg one 3 times a day. Plus Doulepin 25mg in the morning and 75mg at night and 1 tamazapan 10mg at night plus co-proximal as required, plus 40mg statin at night. Three days after starting the Gabapentin and Dosulepin the severe pain in my thighs was reduced by about 90%. Unfortunately after taking these drugs for three months I have developed painful athritic pains and stiffness in both my shoulders and right hand. Is this a side affect of the drugs or is it part of my neuropathic nerve damage spreading to other parts of my body?  I have lost over a stone in weight in the last 6 months, have muscle wastage and weakness in both thighs but mostly my left thigh. I can walk about 200 metres with a 'roller' walking aid, and about 50 metres with a walking stick.What is the prognosis of my condition? And are there any other readers who have this rare complication. If so I would love to hear their story. Thank you. Simon Male non - smoking age 53 from  Buckinghamshire, England.