diabetics and ramipril dosage
hello, my dad is a diabetic (type2), since last year, hes 46 yrs old, hes on metmorfin, the same last year he was also prescribed ramipril 2.5mg everyday, for to treat the diabetic nephropathy, i can get ramipril in my town but its 5mg ramipril capsule in the chemists, and his medications are over, so should i let him take the 5mg ramipril? my big concern is would the dose cause hypoglycaemia or any other effects as the dosage will be double the dose hid doctor prescribed? please help me on that, i will be grateful...thank you.
It is inadvisable to increase medications than what is prescribed by the doctor. First, discuss with his doctor if he should continue with Ramipril. If yes, inform the doctor what you told us here that the chemist [pharmacist] has only the larger dose available. Usually the doctor can ask/call the chemist to order the proper dosage. Good luck -
thnx :)
UR welcome
Ramipril also comes in tablets. You can purchase an inexpensive pill-splitter that will neatly cleave the 5mg tablet.