Diabetes - Type 2 Community
hair loss

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

hair loss

My daughter is 12 she was diagnosis in 2010 with type2 she was put on metformin 500 2tablet daily with supper for 2010 til now dec20,2011 she has loss all her beautiful hair I talk to doc he ran some tests then he said everything was good I don't no what to do I'm so proud of my daughter she is really handling the hair loss very well but I was hoping I could get some any advice please
As far as I know diabetes may cause thinning of the hair and in some cases hair loss. In your daughters  case more background information is needed to rule out diabetes as a cause; how much hair loss your daughter is experiencing [is it just some thinning; is it in globs]; if this started after Metformin. Those of us who never have had to take Metformin before do experience some hair loss [thinning] with the introduction of these chemicals into our bodies.

I suggest you read through this link for some helpful tips on hair loss not related to diabetes, including the link under References, "Hair loss in teens."
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5561323_causes-hair-loss-yearold-girl.html  

Lastly, I suggest you seek consultation with a Dermatologist for basic testing to determine if the origin of the problem is hormonal, dietary, disease related [diabetes], drug related [Metformin, etc], stress-induced or the result of physical activities. Many hair loss problems are resolved with simple therapies. Good luck

Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
melimeli commented on mhv's status
melimeli commented on Belle313's status
Apr 29
melimeli Thank the Lord for Fridays! Comment
Apr 29