how do blood glucose levels change over time?
Does anyone know a source that shows how blood glucose levels change minute by minute after a meal?
This was recently approved by the FDA http://freestylenavigator.com/ab_nav/url/content/en_US/10:10/general_content/General_Content_0000013.htm
Dear Dot.Calm,
Thank you for the info on the meter. I did not know that such even existed. Sounds a little daunting getting one, but perhaps I don’t need it.
My question was poorly phrased. What I was hoping to learn was how blood glucose levels typically varied in the first 90-120 minutes after eating in a healthy person so that I could compare this to myself. Here is how I hoped to use the information.
I love certain foods, especially pasta. I wanted to see how my BG would go up after a pasta meal so I took my BG every 15 min. It rose ot 8.9 within 30 min after eating and dropped naturally to 8.3 after 75 min. At that point I went for a 75 min walk, at which point, 150 min after having finished the meal, my BG was down to 4.9. What I don’t know is if a rise to around 9 is either normal or acceptable. The graph in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar suggests it is not normal, but is it acceptable, or does even this brief rise over the long run cause problems?
If a walk allows me to enjoy my spaghetti meal once or twice a month, it would be worth it to me, but not if the rise to nearly 9 was causing major problems over the long haul. Of course, I have a sample size of 1 occasion; not very scientific. I would like to find more data and it seems it should be available somewhere. It would seem logical to conclude is that if a healthy person experiences similar albeit brief rises in BG levels, then I should be safe doing this. If not, well there goes the spaghetti dinner! Check out the idealised chart in wikipedia. Unfortunately it does not help with my question.
Thanks again. Bill
Try Wheat Pasta Mixed With Regular Spaghetti for the first time then do the switch over to Just Wheat Pasta that will help you get use to eating wheat
A rise to 9 (162) is not normal for someone without diabetes. Have you been seen by a doctor to test for diabetes? Should you be diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes you can learn by testing frequently what foods you can eat and how exercise helps. In general diabetics test two hours after eating to make sure the number has come down. Any sustained time spent over 140 can cause complications.
my question - what causes your blood sugars to stay at a certain number for 12-16 hours and only change a few points one way or another? I get the same reading going to bed that I get fasting and after eating my morning meal.