Diabetes - Type 2 Community
muscle spasms/low potassium

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

muscle spasms/low potassium

Hi. We have a very serious problem. I feel like I am going to lose my mother if someone doesn't help her. All of her doctors seem to be taking their sweet time. I keep telling her to get second, third, fourth opinions because no one can diagnose her. No one seems to be able to help. So, please give us an idea of what could be the culprit. Her history is that she has diabetes, extremely overweight (problem with too much water). In the past two years she has developed extremely low levels of potassium. They have her on drugs for this. and she has a diet for an increased intake of potassium...but its like she cant hold on to potassium...the drugs and diet arent helping. She has severe hand cramps. She loses control of her hands and they hurt her, they clench and squeeze and cramp uncontrollably. She feels worn out and weak all the time. What could this be?
I can't venture a guess as to what your mother's actual diagnoses might be. I can tell you that papaya is a great natural source of potassium with cateloupe not far behind. I would also caution you that to much potassium can also be problamatic.

Good Luck,
troytroy
Cramps are definitely a symptom of low potassium. Perhaps if her regular doctor hasn't been able to treat her potassium problem he can refer her to a specialist. Sorry I don't have any more useful suggestions.
I new hear, but a regular on the thyroid form. Muscle cramps are are common for us with thryoid issues until the right med is found and dosed right. In addition to potassium, magnessium and vitamin D can reduce muscle pain. There is a product by Hylands called Leg Cramps that seems to work for all muscles. You might try this till you find the real reason for the cramping. Its good, but Wall Mart even sells it!
Avatar n tn
what does she eat?

i am not an expert but i beleive most conditions evolve from food sensitivites/allergies/intolerances.

she could have malabsorbtion.

have her try eating only vegetables, cooked and raw, for a day or more and see how she feels, vegetables are high in potassium. and avoiding common food allergens such as wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, vinegar, dairy  might be the beggining to a solution,

to health!
peace be
love free

~ruff
Lack of potassium is a very dangerous thing. Lack of magnesium is one of the several reasons why people can be low on potassium. Up her magnesium in take with a good high quality easily absorbed magnesium combined with potassium pills and see if she improves. Her doctor can also administer potassium injections which may be really what she needs. Is there any reason her doctor has not given her injections? It seems to me she is  dangerously low. Far be it from me to criticize the medical profession but this case seems to be a glaring example of medical misconduct.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status
melimeli commented on Belle313's status
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status