Diabetes - Type 2 Community
pre-diebetic low

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

pre-diebetic low

I have been warned about my blood sugar levels as being pre-diabetic.  Lately I have "low, sinking feelings" like I need to eat something.  I sometimes eat something and it goes away; other times it does not.  I tried juice tonight which spiked my sugar level to 137 but I still feel "sick."  Is this truly a diabetic reaction or is this more like hypoglycemia?  The bad feeling goes away with the ingestion of protein usually. I am stumped and don't see anything on the discussions or health info to say how to manage this low feeling. I feel like I have to eat or I might be at risk of fainting.  
If you have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic than you maybe need to take the situation in hand and see if you can get into a routine to stabilize your blood sugars. You might want to test fairly regularly at first until you are able to do this. What is your fasting? Are you truly low before meals or when you have the " low, sinking feelings" ? (under 70?). If you are running high at other times, then you may feel as if you are low even when you are not. 137 is not extremely high for a glass of juice. Target for two hours after meals is under 140. Have you made changes in your diet? Exercise? If you are overweight are you working on losing? These are the things that can stabilize your blood sugar and eliminate bouncing around between high and low and you will feel better. Do some more testing to see what things you can eat, then be sure and eat on a regular schedule to maintain your blood sugar. Figure out the influence of exercise on your blood sugar. If you are unable to stay in target with these lifestyle changes, than you might need medications. You want to be under 100 fasting and under 140 two hours after meals.
Thank you so much for your response!  Your post really helps me understand what the readings should be.  I don't know where to go for help on this glucose monitoring.

I am at 102 fasting. I have made changes in my diet to accommodate the situation. I am not significantly overweight - only carrying an extra ten pounds and have lost five of that of late. I don't have a read on the "low, sinking feelings" yet as I am usually working when I go that long without food.  But I will carry the meter this week and make a point of testing during those times. I am carrying peanut butter crackers with me now at all times to help with the low feelings. Hoping to manage this without meds if possible.  Thanks so much.
You're welcome, sounds like you have a good plan! If you want a lot more information and support for this thing (including other pre-diabetics) send me a private message and I'll give you a couple websites to check out.
hay eladybug52, when you feel low, what is your number? i was wondering because if i go under 100 i start to feel low un tell i reach 75 and at that point im shaky, sweeting, and feel like im starving to death. I also would take a cup of oj and it would shoot me up to 137. I was told that once you shoot your sugar up eat some thing with protein like a peanut butter sandwich to help keep your sugar up if not then it can drop again fast and it might drop lower then you started.
Thanks for your response.  My low is usually in the 90s. On Tuesday night I got to 78 and felt horrible - very irritable, tired and lethargic, shaky, dizzy, just wanted to lie down, but my grandson (9 mos.) was here.  Improved after I ate peanut butter crackers.  My doc says eat every 2 hrs if I need to and a combination of protein and crackers is good.  I'm going to try apple and cheese soon for the lows. I really appreciate your numbers because I can't seem to find anything online to give me a baseline. I want to manage this without meds if possible and hope to never become diabetic. Thanks again.
Actually the best treatment for lows (some say under 70 and some say under 60) are glucose tablets. They come in exact 4 gm doses and you can learn how many are needed to raise your blood sugar back into target range. For me two works just fine. With food and juice, the danger is overtreating and starting a yo-yo effect.