Diabetes - Type 2 Community
seeking answers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

seeking answers

My 20 year old son was just diagnosed with diabetes. He's deathly afraid of needles, so they offered him the pills instead. He has a hard time taking them, but he knows he has to. He has multiple handicaps already, so this is very hard for him to deal with.
Diabetes apparently runs on both sides of my family. My mom's side is too high and my late father's side was too low. One of his sisters ( 70 years old ) had low blood sugar for as long as I can remember...and 2 years ago they told her that it was suddenly too high. I don't understand.
My mom was told by her doctor ( 40 years ago ) that neither my brother nor I, should get either one because it would even itself out. Of course, that was the 60's and they know so much more now. lol
Anyway...my son and I both went in for fasting tests in December. His came back at 17 and mine came back at 4. This was after 12 hours of fasting ( as we both had other tests to do ). My mom is now freaking out...she claims that 7 is the "perfect " number and that 4 means that mine is too low. What exactly is the perfect number? I have looked all over, and all I can find are numbers like 130, 240, and other high numbers...what exactly do the numbers mean? Should I be concerned?
I was at the walk in clinic about a month ago ( because I fainted for no reason ) and the first thing they asked is if I had diabetes. I said no...she pricked my finger and said it was at 4.4...whatever that means.
I asked if I should be concerned...she just walked away and said the doctor would be right in.
That's when he sent me in for testing. My results were very weakly discussed with a doctor at the hospital. The only reason I ended up at the hospital was because the walk in clinic called me and the nurse ( who over reacted ) stated that I had a kidney infection and that I was almost on the verge of needing dialysis! Seriously! Think she needs time off...either that or someone out there is very sick and doesn't know it yet because she mixed up our files.
Scared me so bad that I went to a hospital. Turns out that there were trace amounts of blood in the urine...no big deal. lol
Anyhow...just wondering about the numbers I guess.
As for my son...after three days of being on the pills he was told to take half of that dosage because his levels dropped from 17 down to 9 the second day, and 7 on the third day. We were told they were dropping too quickly.
Like I said, we're new to this...so forgive my ignorance. lol
Normal glucose levels (fasting) are:-

80 - 95 (4.4 - 5.2)  - Your reading of 72 (4) is still within reasonable range for person without diabetes.  Blood sugar is not considered low until it is below 70 (3.8). However, this 4 was gotten after 12 hours fasting, so the recommendation would be to eat regular meals with slow acting carbs / fats / proteins.

For your son, numbers can come down quite quickly with appropriate meds.  The idea of taking needles can be scarey, but the needles are very small and short and insulin is not so bad once you try it.  I know this from experience. It also gives great blood sugar control when properly used.

Post eating should always be < 140 (7.7) 2 hours after eating, but ideally < 120 (6.6) or even close to fasting values.

Hope this helps.

Business_woman1
Are the number your talking about mean A1C or your sugar(glucose) numbers. Once you indicate which number it is. I can reply back with an answer of myopinion to try to help you.
Normal glucose levels (fasting) are:-

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.
I've never been a big eater...mostly just supper. However I do snack during the day...sometimes.
I was given medication when I was a child...it was supposed to make me WANT to eat. I don't know what it was called, and my mom can't remember either. All she remembers is how they used to scream at her ( doctors and nurses ) and tell her that she had to force feed me. Poor mom.

Perhaps I should start eating more before I develop issues.
And I will...as soon as food quits making me sick. Trying to convince my doctor to run tests for either gluten allergy or gallbladder issues.
He said that as soon as I get sick ALL the time, THEN he will run tests. UGH!
As of now, I only get sick after eating...so what does ALL the time mean? lol

Anyways, thank you so much for the info.
It's good to know that there's a place like this, with great people like all of you, to help us through these transitions in life.
If you are feeling sick with eating, could be food sensitivity / allergy.  The first I'd consider would be celiac or gluten intollerance.  This is often accompanied by poor tolerance of dairy.  Pursue this avenue first.  2 options, 1st is to get tested for celiac (the blood tests do have high rate of false negative), and second is to try an elimination diet and see if you feel better on that.