Diabetes - Type 2 Community
splenda good or bad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

splenda good or bad

I've heard that splenda isn't  good to eat I eat splenda
Tags: Diabetes, Baking, years
Where did you hear this? Nothing has been found to rule Splenda (succralose) as being harmful to consume - nothing, no studies, no research, nothing. Long term effects are unknown since its relatively new on the market. I would avoid the baking Splenda since it contains sugar.

The latest Consumer Reports magazine has an article on sweeteners - all of them including Splenda. Go pick up a copy.

Next time someones tells you something like this ask for references (newspaper, magazine, internet web site, etc) so you can read it yourself. Bet you hear a bunch of excuses cuz all this person wants to do is create a rumor.

By the way, I've been using Splenda [sparingly] for 5 years. Just wish one could bake with it.
you can bake with splenda go to splenda.ca
SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking is a mix of pure sugar (sucrose, common name table sugar) and SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener (sucralose).
http://tinyurl.com/2vq24d

If you are diabetic why would you introduce sugar into your diet?
You can bake with just Splenda granulated. They have recipes ( or at least they used to) with just Splenda, not the blend. My mom is diabetic and I checked the site out years ago. If it doesn't have the "just" Splenda recipes any longer I apologize.
re: Splenda... yeah, the packets have dextrose/maltodextrin; most of the Splenda for Baking products contain maltodextrin; I've seen the granulated product in various packages and forms, some of which do not list any natural sugar in the ingredients... but I can't imagine what else they would use to add bulk and "fluff" the granulated product.

As for Splenda "safety":  there are not yet any large scale long-term studies out there.  The conspiracy theories about Splenda being evil stem from the fact that the FDA approved Splenda with only a few small safety studies having been done at the time.  There have been studies raising concern about long-term toxicity, especially with the thyroid and nervous system, but it will be years before any definitive results can be determined.

What we do know is that sucralose is a chlorocarbon (they replace some hydrogen with chlorine in the sugar molecule to make Splenda), the human body absorbs on average at least 15% of sucralose consumed, and no reputable independent studies on long-term toxicity have been performed.

So, is it safe?  I don't think anyone can say one way or the other yet.  But, like most things, in moderation it's probably ok.  Personally, I lean towards natural sweeteners like stevia, and I'm ok with small amounts of actual sugar on occaision (for me, that means a bite of someone else's dessert, etc).  Like any food item for diabetics, we have to try it, track our blood glucose and note any symptoms we're feeling, and figure out for ourselves what does and does not work for our bodies.

The Wikipedia has a decent article about the history and controversy about Splenda:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose
I use splenda and found that diabetic like myself raises blood sugar quite a bit this morning it was 91 had coffee with splenda in it went up to 179 so think for a moment FDA
Hmm, been using Splenda for years. I use it in my cereal in the mornings. After meal readings only spike it 30 pts. Example 102 before, 134 2 hrs later. I'm ok with that!

Never heard there was anything wrong with Splenda. It is a man-made product so if you can get over that (chemicals) then go for it.
I wanted to find a comment thread on SPLENDA, as I have made a personal discovery recently which has brought the dangers of artificial sweeteners to light.
I have been consuming aspartame for years, and recently Splenda as well.  These sweeteners are in a lot of our foods, and they ARE DANGEROUS!!
I am currently seeing a Naturopathic Doctor - one of my main concerns being debilitating palpitations that I have been having for a long time - I have done all the heart tests, taken antidepressants, sedatives, investigations into my thyroid issues (I have Hashimotos) and nothing I have done has helped.
Have been on a liver cleanse for 3 weeks, and after eliminating all artificial sweeteners for only THREE WEEKS, the palpitations are gone..........I contacted my Naturopath and she said this result happens all the time with her patients............I am so amazed, and obviously very relieved.
SPLENDA is chlorinated sugar - a chlorocarbon............these are dangerous substances.
Please go to:
     www.wnho.net/splenda_chlorocarbon.htm      to read what Dr James Bowen MD, a physician and research chemist has to say.
I am spreading the word - we need to eliminate these artificial sweeteners from our diet.