sugar dropping?
i was diagnosed at borderline diabetic at 16. i am 25 now, about 6 months ago i was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and put on metformin, 500 mg, 2X per day. i take my medication as prescribed and was told to LIMIT sugar and carbohydrate intake.my sugar is usually 65-70 when i first wake up and stays stable thoughout the day (i don't check it if i don't feel sick). lately, for the past few months anyway, if i eat anything sweet at all, ex: sugar in my coffee is the usual culprit, about an hour late my sugar drops to around 40 and i can barely make it to the fridge to get OJ.  why is this suddenly happening? i thought metformin was supposed to keep this from happening.
I think the sugar is stimulating an overagressive insulin response, which in turn drives  your blood sugar low.

Metformin doesn't work directly on insulin levels, instead it makes your blood cells more senstive to the insulin that is circulating.

I think best approach is reguar healthy (fat, protein, and small amoutn of carbs) meals and snacks and continuing to avoid sugar.

What are your 2 hours post eating levels?
To add to Super_sally888, eating foods that contain white sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup or refined carbohydrates can cause your sugar levels to spike and then suddenly drop as if you have hypoglycemia. This sudden drop in blood sugar levels is due to your pancreas releasing too much insulin to counteract the sudden high blood sugar levels that occurred from eating the aforementioned food types. Blood sugars suddenly plunge below normal because of the release of insulin from the over reactive pancreas.

When your glucose levels go high, suddenly drop, then rise again and yo-yo's this way throughout the day it wreaks havoc on your cardio system. If you need a sweetener for your coffee try Splenda [succralose], a sugar derivative that doesn't raise blood sugar levels when digested.