sugar overdose?
I hope you can help answer a very upsetting question.  Recently, my 12 year old son had 6 friends sleep over at our house (summer-time party).  Three of the 6 kids stayed up all night.  One boy, who stayed up all night, drank at least 4 cans of Coke overnight.  I don't know if he did this on a dare (he is a very good kid), or just because it was there to drink (I believe soda is not served frequently in his home.)  To make a long story short - A couple of days later I found out that several hours after the party, the boy's parents took him to the emergency room because he was acting very confused, would act like he was sleep walking, saying strange things and looking 'spaced out'.  His parents wanted him to sleep, but he kept getting up.  After spending 6+ hours at the ER, the boy was back to normal.  The mother of the boy is convinced someone slipped her son a barbituate of some kind while he was at my son's party. I am devastated that she believes this.  Is it possible that her son had a "sugar overdose" from the soda? His blood tests came out fine in the ER.  Wouldn't traces of a drug stay in the blood system for at least 24 hours?  Could the excess sugar (plus sleep deprivation) be the culprit?  I know you have more serious issues to deal with, but I have searched the internet and can't find any solid answers. Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Was this boy's glucose level tested?  He may indeed be a diabetic and not know it (not his parents).  When diabetics blood sugar levels get too high or too low, they can act very disoriented, as if they are very intoxicated, become very hypersensitive and agitate very easily.

My husband is Type 2 Diabetic and I've seen this happen. I would call his parents and ask if the Dr.'s took blood tests to check his sugar/glucose level if they are still accusing of drugs being slipped to him.    GOOD LUCK
"His blood tests came out fine in the ER. "

What blood test? Be more specific. Without knowing what test were performed it's difficult to say what the cause may be which makes one speculate, the latter leading to false assumptions, so I won't go there.

"The mother of the boy is convinced someone slipped her son a barbituate of some kind.."
Hospitals can take a hair sample from the scalp to determine whether this kid had drugs in his system going back the previous three months.
Its quite simple and results are obtained quickly.
Also, an Hemoglobin A1c test will determine whether this kid is diabetic or a candidate in the making.  Read about it here
http://www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/adam/data/003640.html

To avoid potential lawsuits be sure to get written do's and dont's from your sons friends parents before you entertain another sleepover - allergies, foods, liquids, medication, etc.