Diabetes - Type 2 Community
what are the side effects of metformin?

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

what are the side effects of metformin?

i)
I started using metformin for PCOs but after a week i felt GIT disturbances along with PALPITATIONS
I started 500mg Od dose.Should i start from 250 mg for 2 weeks then add another 250mg after 2 weeks?
as i've heard its dose should be gradually increased if side effects appear.
will 250mg for 2 weeks,then 500mg od 2 weeks then 1000mg work for me?
I was much worried about palpitations , how metformin cause palpitations?
should i continue using metformin?if yes, what are indications for me to stop it
ii)
Ive BMI 23.7,will it help me reduce my weight?

thanks in advance for answering :)
Hi there!

If there are specific side effects associated with medication use, it is best advised to consult you treating doctor for a possible change in dosage or change in medication. If the symptoms are more than mild, discontinuation of the medication and review with your treating doctor would ne suggested and if mild you could continue with the medication and consider a review with your treating doctor. Self-change in dosage is not advisable. Though metformin may help in weight reduction, a BMI of 23.7 is within the normal range and weight reduction may not be required. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight