Diabetes - Type 2 Community
will losing weight cure my diabetes???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

will losing weight cure my diabetes???

I have been doing all sorts of research and some sites say that "yes losing weight cures type 2 diabetes" and others that say " it will not cure it, if the person weight comes back so will the diabetes". i just dont know what to think. I have type 2 for almost a year now and the meds that they gave me made me so sick that i had to stop taking them. so now im off the meds and i deiced that i needed to lose the weight. im 5'5 and i was 220 pounds, but since i have been eating less sugars, more veggies and lean meats and be walking 3 miles a day M-F and i have lost 10 pounds =] but i weight myself today and saw that i gain about 1-2 pounds but im expecting mother nature soon, so im not to worried about that. And since gas is going up, i have deiced to buy a bike to ride to the park and back. i would love your feedback on any information that anyone has. thank you  
I weighed 226 and now I weigh 166 but still have diabetes. Though I feel losing weight may be stopped by losing weight I feel like that is mostly the morbidly obese though I am not a doctor. My mom and three sisters and 1 brother had diabetes and were all of normal weight.

Eating better and exercising can help your diabetes stay under better control and lower your A1C along with possibly preventing you from needing medication or getting a lower dose. I have been diabetic for 6 years. Most likely mine is hereditary as many of my siblings plus parents had it also.

Keep up the good work. Weighloss will make you healthier in many ways.
"Though I feel losing weight may be stopped by losing weight " I meant diabetes may be stopped by losing weight" etc.  etc..
It depends what caused your high sugar levels. In my case I was overweight because of taking antipyschotics. In a year I lost all the excess weight, and was told that "pre-diabetes" could be reversible, if I lost the weight. I lost the weight, and the doctor found out that my sugar and insulin numbers didn´t improve, there was a real metabolic problem.

In some people being overweight causes prediabetes and diabetes. Some of them can reverse prediabetes by loosing weight. Others lose the weight but still have diabetes. In this second group there is a real problem using insulin.
Losing weight will definitely help manage diabetes.  It may even apparently 'cure' it.  But the predisposition to the diabetes developing again will still be there.

For type 2 diabetes, losiing weight is usually of great benefit. Exercise (30 minutes), at least 2 times a day is also very good.  In addition try eating low carb diet.  Reduce or remove all sweet foods from your diet.  particularly soft drinks, breads, candies, white rice and pasta.  Replace these with non-starchy vegetables.

I am a very strong beleiver in low carb diet for diabetes management.  It really helps dramatically.
Good advice above.  I have lost 50+ lbs and gone from obese on the BMI test to a shade above normal weight. I credit watching those carbs; no more than 60 per meal. First A!C 8.6%, then 7.7%, then 6.3%. I fully expect it to be under 6% in two months, maybe even normal.  My exercise is very minimal due to arthritic legs but even pushing a buggy in the supermarket can help.
I was a Type II diabetic on oral medication and insulin and weighed over 350 pounds at 5'7" tall.  I lost 125 pounds just by changing my lifestyle and the way I think about food.  I was able to go off all insulin and all oral medication.  Was I cured of diabetes?  No.  Once a diabetic, always a diabetic.  You can keep it well controlled and not need medication, but you are still a diabetic.

After 5 years from my big weight loss, I gained 25 pounds.  I am now back on oral medication and just recently went back on insulin.  I was devastated.  I do take some medications that may raise my blood sugar, but not enough to be back on medication.  It was weight gain and eating too many carbs again.

Keeping that weight down and watching your diet, with proper exercise, will hopefully keep your levels down to where you don't need medications.

My AIC went from 8.3 down to 6, while I kept all 125 pounds off.  My recent AIC was 10.2.  Oral medication wasn't controlling it, so back on insulin I went.  I have set a goal to be under 7 by the end of the year.  Hopefully I will able to stop taking medication again.  But really, diabetes never goes away.  It's always lurking in the background.  Especially if you have a family history of diabetes.
Thank you all for all the advise and information :) as long as I can lose the weight eat healthy I think I will be okay, diabetes does run in the family but the doctor did said if I lost the weight my diabetes would be under control. One of the reasons I want to lose the weight and control my diabetes is because I would love to have a child within 2 years from now and I want to be in the best health that I can be. Thanks again everyone
so true. keep in touch.