Diabetes - Type 2 Community
would earlier detection have helped?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

would earlier detection have helped?

I initially went in for treatment due to annoying pain in my feet and a slight numbness in some fingers in Feb of 2012.  Blood tests were run and separate diagnosis given for hands and feet not related to diabetes.  Treatment that followed for several months included pain management, exercises, specific shoes and wrist braces.  In October a nerve test was done on my hands that indicated the previous diagnosis of carpal tunnel for my hands was not confirmed.  Frustrated, I sought a second opinion in November of 2012 where the new provider was able to access the blood tests run in Feb.  Those results indicated I was diabetic and so my treatment and medication began.  My question is, if I had been diagnosed correctly in Feb would my symptoms not have increased so severely to the point where I am unable to perform my regular daily tasks?  In Feb, I was still functional and now, I am unable to work due to the severe pain in my hands and feet.
Its possible that proper treatment last year could have reduced the pain.   It would have prevented it from advancing.

if the pain is from neuropathy it could be healed / reversed in time if you can normalise your blood sugars.   And Yes, if it had been detected and treated earlier it may not have progressed so far.

Note that the pain may actually get worse during the healing process as the nerves are regenerating, but should then improve.

Normal A1c IS 4.3 - 4.6, though getting close to 5 should be a big help.  Ideally blood sugars should be kept in the range of 80 - 120,  and not exceeding 140.  This may seem a hard target, but if you don't aim for this you would not have any chance to achieve it.

Recommend a book called "diabetes solutions" by Dr. Richard Bernstein.  He advocates low carb diet and medical interventions to get excellent control of blood sugars.

The best and surest way to heal this is acheiving NORMAL blood sugars.

Best wishes