Can knowin the root cause of your pre-d problem help you in treating the problem
I am 70 weigh 185 and 5-10. Have had pre-d for over 10 years with a1c range 0f 5.7 to 6.0

My doctor doesnt seem very concerned only advising low carbs, exercise and losing a few lbs.

As I have been studying the subject lately I have read that the condition may be caused by  pancreas isn’t producing enough insulin, or I might be insulin resistant.   Are there tests that could be done to actually identfy the cause, and that may help to help better  my problem.

Thanks for any insight
How would your treatment change if you knew the cause?

It would still be low carb exercise and loose weight in ether case.

Given your age and the fact that this hasn't progressed for 10 years likely means that you are type 2 and maintained on diet and exercise.  For type 2 the root cause is typically insulin resistance.    If you are type 2 a drug like metformin / Glucophage, an insulin sensitizer may be useful.