Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Concerned Grandma

A group of people with Pre-Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share your experiences.

Concerned Grandma

No one in family has diabetes - Dr just called and said she knew i liked to be kept up on things - my A1C is now 6 for the first time - and glucose is 105 - I recently retired - and lots of luncheons and dinners - and taking  it easy due to past pulmonary embolism   - I do not cook - can't eat nuts - so trying to figure out a easy menu -
Hello there!

Let's sort out some of this info first.  When was your pulmonary embolism?  The reason I ask is, unless you just got out of the hospital for that, and are a bit weak, you should not have any activity restrictions.  Inactivity is actually one of the leading causes of a PE.  That leads to blood not circulating optimally, which leads to a DVT, or blood clot  (usually in the leg) which can travel to the lung, or a PE.  Certainly follow your doc's advice, but there is no reason you can't be up and about.  Even a daily leisurely walk is good.

At the luncheons and dinners, what kinds of foods are you ordering/eating?  If you have a weight problem, you could try to order more lighter fare, salads, fish, grilled chicken, etc.  Stay away from fried foods as much as you can, and limit dessert eating to only here and there.

The most important thing with a diet is balance.  You need foods from all the food groups.  You don't want to overdo it on carbs or sweets, or fatty foods.  If you are overweight, it would greatly benefit you to try to lose some of those extra pounds.  You don't have to be getting into skinny jeans (lol), but getting your weight to a more manageable level will help to control your glucose levels, and most importantly, keep the diabetes from progressing.

There are lots of frozen, prepared foods that are healthier these days.  Some of the "Lean Cusine" dinners are pretty good, and not too bad for you,.  You just have to watch the sodium content.  Can you prepare salads and sandwiches at home? If you are really struggling, you can always ask your doc to refer you to a dietician.  There are tons of excellent books out there, cookbooks as well.

Good luck to you, let us know how you're doing!
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
1 hr ago
Barb135 commented on VICourageous's status
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...