Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Concerned Grandma
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Concerned Grandma

No one in family has diabetes - Dr just called and said she knew i liked to be kept up on things - my A1C is now 6 for the first time - and glucose is 105 - I recently retired - and lots of luncheons and dinners - and taking  it easy due to past pulmonary embolism   - I do not cook - can't eat nuts - so trying to figure out a easy menu -
480448_tn?1403547723
Hello there!

Let's sort out some of this info first.  When was your pulmonary embolism?  The reason I ask is, unless you just got out of the hospital for that, and are a bit weak, you should not have any activity restrictions.  Inactivity is actually one of the leading causes of a PE.  That leads to blood not circulating optimally, which leads to a DVT, or blood clot  (usually in the leg) which can travel to the lung, or a PE.  Certainly follow your doc's advice, but there is no reason you can't be up and about.  Even a daily leisurely walk is good.

At the luncheons and dinners, what kinds of foods are you ordering/eating?  If you have a weight problem, you could try to order more lighter fare, salads, fish, grilled chicken, etc.  Stay away from fried foods as much as you can, and limit dessert eating to only here and there.

The most important thing with a diet is balance.  You need foods from all the food groups.  You don't want to overdo it on carbs or sweets, or fatty foods.  If you are overweight, it would greatly benefit you to try to lose some of those extra pounds.  You don't have to be getting into skinny jeans (lol), but getting your weight to a more manageable level will help to control your glucose levels, and most importantly, keep the diabetes from progressing.

There are lots of frozen, prepared foods that are healthier these days.  Some of the "Lean Cusine" dinners are pretty good, and not too bad for you,.  You just have to watch the sodium content.  Can you prepare salads and sandwiches at home? If you are really struggling, you can always ask your doc to refer you to a dietician.  There are tons of excellent books out there, cookbooks as well.

Good luck to you, let us know how you're doing!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
siwells48 commented on Portion Distortion: H...
5 hrs ago
480448_tn?1403547723
Blank
nursegirl6572 "Worrying doesn't take away... Comment
Aug 19
649848_tn?1357751184
Blank
Barb135 commented on specialmom's status
Aug 19
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703