Hb1ac test
I went for a Hb1ac test last week.  The reading shows 5.4.  Is that normal.
You're a bit over normal. One should aim for <5%. An Hba1c [A1c, HbA1c] of 5.4% equates to daily blood sugar of 108 mg/dl [6 mmol/l], prediabetes. Normal blood sugar range is 60/70 to 99 mg/dl [3.33/3.88 to 5.5 mmol/l].
It's not too bad at all.  Most likely, your doc will want to do a follow up in 6 months or so.  You can do some things to help keep the number from getting higher.  If you're overweight, work to lose some excess weight.  You can also make some alterations in your diet.  This is a good article, a good place to start:

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_diabetes.htm
its low. to low
Says who? Please reference your source. Daily blood sugars of 108 mg/dl is considered prediabetes. Below 60 mg/dl is considered low.
My target is less than 7. It depends on your doc and situation. It sounds like a number you shouldn't be too worried about - but discuss with your doc what they would like it to be.

The target of 7 gives you an average blood sugar of about 170.  This is higher than the level that you needed to get diagnosed with diabetes in the first place and is certainly far higher than a normal non diabetic blood sugar which is < 5.0.

It is also known that diabetic complications can occur and become more likely as blood sugars exceed about 140.

If you can achieve it without having lows, it would be more optimal if you can work to reduce your HBA1C closer to normal range.

This can be done through reducing carb intake, increasing exercise, optimising weight, and meds, as appropriate.
I agree with Sally completely.  A target of 7 is quite high.  Were your values previously a lot HIGHER?  Did your doc give you an explanation as to why your target A1c is that high?

The ranges GREATLY vary among doctors.  Most endos I've worked with are pleased if the A1c is below 6.  Others will be more strict, wanting it closer to 5.0-5.5  A lot has to be taken into consideration too with the PMH.

For a very brittle diabetic whose A1c's have been consistently very high (8-9+), an A1c of 7 would be welcome.  I still think that the desired target should be lower, whether you reach it or not.