Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Hypogylcemia?
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypogylcemia?

I've been getting these spells - my heart rate is up (120ish), I feel kinda trembly, and I'll get chills, sometimes I'll feel a bit flushed. Often happens late at night when I'm tired and it's been awhile since supper (4 or 5 hours). It happened at church on Sunday, I hadn't had anything to eat yet, just a small glass of milk at about 8:30. Around 10:30 I had a cinnamon bun, a muffin and a glass of Tang. About 45 minutes later I had the spell. Now, it did go away on it's own after about 20 minutes. Sometimes they happen at random times in the day, I do find eating something seems to help.

Could these be hypoglycemia spells? At first I thought maybe they were anxiety attacks, I've had a couple of those in the past - but only due to legitimate reasons (stressful events in my life). I read up on GAD and panic attack disorders, and I don't fit any of the signs/symptoms (I sleep great, I'm not a worrier, I'm not a negative/worst-case scenario person, they're not disrupting my life etc...).

Since they seem to improve with eating, I'm wondering about the hypo. My maternal grandfather, my mother and my sister all have type 2 diabetes (my grandfather dx'd in his 40s, my mother in her 40s, my sister in her 20's -  though she has other health issues, and I'm 30).
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
4848134_tn?1360123266
Type 2 Diabetes doesn't commonly induce HYPOglycemia. If you are worried, borrow one of their kits when you are feeling shaky, and test. Or test first thing in the morning after fasting for the night. If this is not possible, you might be able to walk in to a clinic or your doctor's office and ask for a quick blood sugar test.

I don't have diabetes, but I do have lower than average blood sugars sometimes. When I start feeling myself drop, I grab some juice, or a snack, and then I go about my day. Just keep some granola bars with you or something. They'll help.
Blank
Once upon a time my doctor had mentioned something to me about reactive hypoglycemia?
Blank
4848134_tn?1360123266
Did they think that was what you are dealing with? If so, you still do not have diabetes. What happens when you have a reactive hypoglycemic reaction is that more insulin than needed is released into your bloodstream after a high-carb meal.

Things you can do to help would be to exercise regularly, eat a proper diet, avoid unnecessary sugar intake, and eat smaller meals more frequently. Or smaller meals, with regular snacks.

If this still doesn't help, talk to your doctor again. It should.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
480448_tn?1397235344
Blank
nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
20 hrs ago
480448_tn?1397235344
Blank
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
21 hrs ago
480448_tn?1397235344
Blank
nursegirl6572 "- Don't react, take action... Comment
Apr 17
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979