Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
I need to drink so much water to stay hydrated....why????

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

I've made a conscious effort for the past 15+ years to drink lots of water.  But if I drink just 8-10 8 ounce glass of water a day, like you're supposed to, my pee color would be dark yellow all the time.  I require a LOT of water to get that near clearish color of pee.  I'm 38, 5'7, 165 (muscular), 14% body fat, and otherwise healthy.  I check my blood sugar from time to time and it's always normal.  I live a sedentary lifestyle except for when I work out for 1 hour a day, but that's in an A/C gym and I live in a cool environment so I don't sweat much at all, even at the gym.  

So should I be concerned?  I just always need so much H20 to avoid dehydration.  Seems odd???
You're making a few incorrect assumptions here.  For one, you're assuming you are always near dehydration if you don't consume your 8-10 glasses of water a day.  That's not true at all, and the only way you would KNOW that is by having blood tests done.

You're also making the assumption that when your urine is darker, you are dehydrated.  That is also wrong.  It just means, the less water you drink, the more concentrated your urine is, when you drink your 8 glasses a day, your urine is more dilute.  Neither situation is better or worse than the other, as long as you would drink a few beverages a day (with normal exertion), you have nothing to worry about.

Dehydration is not something that happens willy nilly.  It really takes some extreme circumstances to interrupt the balance that much to cause dehydration,  For example, a stomach virus with a lot of vomiting and diahrrea would put one at risk, because you are losing fluid faster than you can put it in.  Same way with extreme exertion (sports) without drinking water.  That would also place you at risk.  Going from 8 glasses of water to 2 isn't going to do that.

So, to answer your question, NO, you have nothing to be concerned about.  You are musinterpreting what it means to be dehydrated.
That was really informative.  But years ago when I did a pee sample and my urine was darkish yellow the nurse said, "you need to drink more water...enough so that your urine is almost clear."  So I've been using that as a gauge ever since.

Also I get sooo thirsty.  Esp in the morning after a small breakfast.  I need like 60 ounce of water in the first hour of my day before I feel not thirsty anymore. Isn't that weird????
Additionally, some foods may also cause your urine to have a dark yellow color. If you are drinking enough water, but your still have dark yellow urine color, then it may be food based. For example, beets, blackberries and asparagus can cause a dark yellow urine color. If you feel it's not food related perhaps it's time you visit a doctor for a full health evaluation, testing your kidney, bladder and liver functions. Be sure to take a list of all medications, supplements and vitamins you take for your doctor to review. Good luck -

btw, how is your pre-diabetes?
If you are thirsty all the time, perhaps your glucose levels aren't under control.  I agree that it may be time for a check-up.

Urine colors will vary with diet, fluids intake, and the like,  Darker or lighter, isn't necessarily good or bad.  That's a common misconception.  Certainly drinking the water you drink every day is actually a good thing, but if you thirst is not quenched, I would worry about your sugar.
Thanks for all your advice folks!  Very nice of you guys.  I LOVE this website.  So what exactly would be the concern with glucose levels? Being too high if I'm thirsty all the time?  I don't know if this means anything but I bought a finger poking BS test kit and have been checking my BS levels throughout the day for a couple weeks, and it's always a very normal reading--obviously higher after meals but I've never seen it over 145 (and that was right after dinner).  Usually I'm in the 90s (I'm I'm not fasting).

Also I seem MOST thirsty after eating sweets.  Is that a normal reaction?  If I'm not eating sweets I definitely do not get thirsty all the time.  
"So what exactly would be the concern with glucose levels?"
Please take the time to educate yourself on diabetes side effects. They will occur when elevated blood sugar levels are ignored. Click this link for an overview on complications.
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/

"I bought a finger poking BS test kit"
Hopefully you read the instruction sheet accompanying the meter carefully as some meters require calibration, proper room temperature storage, and some test strips have expiration dates.

"...have been checking my BS levels throughout the day..."
It is important to know when you are supposed to test and what your target ranges are. Testing is commonly done before meals [preprandial], after fasting for at least eight hours, and 2-3 hours after a meal [postprandial].

"Also I seem MOST thirsty after eating sweets.  Is that a normal reaction?"
See these Google hits http://tinyurl.com/eating-sweets-thirsty
EXCELLENT advice from WaveRider!
It's a strange condition that you mentioned. You live in cool environment and your pee comes in dark yellow color. You should meet your doctor and have some test like KFT(Kidney function test) and LFT(Liver function test). You may got your result by the same.
Thanks.  
Actually, it isn't strange at all.  There are a lot of different factors that will affect the color of a person's urine.  Dark urine does not necessarily indicate that there is something wrong with kidney or liver function.  It's always a good idea to have a thorough physical, including labwork annually, but I see no reason to be concerned.
Have you considered that your binge drinking is likely affecting both your hydration and anxiety?  
I think I have a very similar problem to you. I'm 29, fairly athletic (BMI 23 and fairly muscular) and constantly have to drink water (4-6 liters per day). I do exercise quite a bit but even on days that I do nothing I require quite a bit more water than the average person.

I've had every single possible test the docs could think of to discover the problem. Sugar comes back perfect, kidney perfect. I'm writing this at 1 pm and I've consumed 3.5 liters so far today and I feel thirsty. It drives me a little nuts as I prefer to drink filtered water due to the taste but both of the 1 liter Nalgene bottles I carry around are empty.

I do sweat quite a bit. It is possible that if you're in an environment that allows your perspiration to evaporate very quickly you may be losing fluid much faster than you might think. I suspect this may be the case with me. My brother who has the same build/height as me does not have the problem.

I wish you luck in your search for an answer.  
Hsve you had testing done on your pituitary gland?  adrenal glands?  Is your mouth often dry?  Do you have any other symptoms?
I would get yourself checked out as soon as you can JamesAA,

My father had the same symptoms and he ignored it for a while, eventually we convinced him to go get a check up and he died on the way to the doctors. If only he had gone straight away that bus would never of hit him.