Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
IS this pre diabetes?
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

IS this pre diabetes?

HI Guys-

I have a lot of risk factors for diabetes, (had a baby ofver 9lbs, high blood pressure, strong family history) so I check my blood glucose at home every now and then. 2 years ago I had an A1C that was 5.6 -- my doc said that was fine.  LAtely, I had put on about 10 lbs out of the blue so I started checking it again.  My morning runs between 110-118 about 3 times per week.  After meals I can be as high as 150 but never over that -- so far.  What do you guys think?  Is that enoght to call it pre diabetes?  Im just learning about his.  I really dont have any other symptoms.  If I lose some weight and get back on a better diet and excersise will that reverse it?  Please help.    
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Its a good bet that exercise and losing extra weight will help.  However it does not always.  Drink lots of water and walk.  Watch those carbs.  After meals is that 2 hours after or a short time after?  It makes a difference.
Blank
If you're taking your reading shortly after a meal this can mean pre-diabetic. Two to fours you're falling into the normal range. Another A1c will help determine your condition.
And weight loss does help along with moderate exercise and low carb intake.
Blank
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes when my yearly physical fasting blood glucose reading came out at 102. (Father has type II diabetes.)  Anything over 100 for a fasting reading is considered pre-diabetic by my healthcare provider.  Not sure if they're overly cautious or what.

I would love to know more about what readings are appropriate for pre diabetics but everything I read about is for diabetics.  Does anyone know of any good sources?

Meanwhile, I recommend you speak with a medical professional given your readings are so high in the mornings.  When mine are that high, I freak--maybe unnecessarily since I don't have all the facts.
Blank
116881_tn?1189759423
I brought my Dr my readings for the past 2 weeks of my fasting numbers. Always over 100 but not high.  He said that is not sufficient to call it pre diabetes.  I did an A1C this morning so we'll see ....
Blank
In that case you should get a great A1C.  
Blank
This I found from Dr Anita................
The normal range for adults is as follows:
Fasting(atleast 8 hours): less than 100mg/dL
After eating: less than 140 mg/dL

The American Diabetes  Association also has some good information on their site www.diabetes.org.
Take care.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
4522800_tn?1397789196
Blank
VICourageous commented on HOUSEHOLD TIPS/HINTS....
7 hrs ago
480448_tn?1397235344
Blank
nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
9 hrs ago
5194006_tn?1380823487
Blank
KylieRMs_momma Hi everyone sorry I havent ... Comment
17 hrs ago
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979