Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Just diagnosed pre-diabetic

A community of people with Pre-Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences on prevention: nutrition, fitness, management.

Just diagnosed pre-diabetic

Hello, I am a 46-year-old white male, 152 lbs., 6' 0". I exercise and lift weights daily. All of my other health indicators are excelent. My endocrinologist has just diagnosed me as being pre-diabetic based on results of the oral glucose tolerance test. However, I've been unable to find online where a high one-hour blood sugar value has been the basis for diagnosis. I know that the OGTT two-hour level that is the cutoff for diabetes diagnosis is 200. What is the ONE-hour post glucose challenge cutoff level for diagnosis of PRE-diabetes? Here are my lab results:

A1C = 4.9
Fasting blood sugar = 89
One-hour post-75 gram glucose = 185
Two-hours post glucose challenge = 110

Insulin level at fasting = 4.7
Insulin level at one hour = 50.3
Insulin level at two hours = 36.6

Thank you!
You are correct that diagnosis based on the OGTT is based on two hour readings. The cutoff for pre-diabetes is 140 at two hours. I'm not aware of any official diagnostic criteria based on the one hour results. However, your doctor's concern might be that normal people do not generally go up as high as 185. Your A1C is in the normal range as is your fasting. I find it interesting that your endo diagnosed you when I've seen doctors who don't officially diagnose pre-diabetes even when it is clearly indicated!

I'm not sure why you were seeing an endo or receiving this testing to begin with. Were you experiencing symptoms? Do you have any other autoimmune conditions (it doesn't sound like it). I would only consider this as an indicator to be retested periodically. You are not overweight (maybe a tad under?) and you get regular exercise. If you eat a lot of sweets and carbs you might want to moderate that a bit, but otherwise I would just keep an eye on the numbers and little more.
Thanks much. I do appreciate your comments Zoelula. Yeah, the doctor was concerned about the 185 number. I saw the doctor because my fasting glucose level a month ago was 98 and I was concerned. I never eat sweets or anything like that. I was also concerned becayse my mother is type-1 diagnosed at age 22, Her father was type-1 diagnosed at 46. That was why I became worried. Do you know if medical doctors still provide answer questions here?
No there are no doctors answering questions on either diabetes thread anymore.

Actually, pre-diabetes is almost always type 2, but if you do get diagnosed be sure and request antibody tests to clarify type as it is very common for LADAs to get misdiagnosed as type 2 if they are older. (LADA is slow onset type 1).
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Paxiled commented on Foods For Weight Loss...
Aug 26
gymdandee commented on Foods For Weight Loss...
Aug 25
TrishaHicks commented on Portion Distortion: H...
Aug 24