Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Losing weight but numbers going up
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Losing weight but numbers going up

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in October, 2013.  Since then I have lost 26 pounds (now down to 250 - I know, I know, EEK) and totally changed my eating habits.  Yet in the same time period, my fasting glucose went from 6.0 to 6.3.  Any ideas why that would happen?  Thx.
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Typically, fruit should be limited to 1-2 servings/day, because most fruit has a lot of sugar.  Apples and pears are a better choice than many, because of their high fiber content.

A good, low glycemic diet would include plenty of protein (meat, chicken, fish, dairy, eggs, etc), lots of veggies, which are low calorie/high fiber, so they take longer to break down and don't spike blood sugar, and whole grains, such as brown rice, whole grain breads, pastas and cereals, etc.  

My "go to" snacks are sliced radishes and celery.
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Are you talking about fasting glucose going from 6.0 to 6.3 or is that your A1c?   A1c tests average blood sugar over the course, of about 3 months.
Blank
Ahhh, thanks Barb.  I don't know my terms yet.  It would be my A1c results.  I don't do daily testing, I've just had the two blood tests so far, 4 months apart.  I did some searching yesterday, based on my diet, and think it might be the plain Cheerios I eat in the morning (w/blueberries and 1% milk).  Lots of people mention spikes in their sugars after eating that cereal, so I'm thinking I'll ditch it.  Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Hmmm I've never heard of Cheerios spiking blood sugar; good thing I quite eating it a while back, huh?... LOL   Have you considered that it might be the blueberries?  They have a lot of sugar in them and even though it's "natural", it can spike blood sugar levels.

I'm impressed with your 26 lb weight loss... If I could lose 26 lbs, I'd be about where I want/need to be.

Have you thought (or talked to your doctor) about daily or weekly blood testing with a home meter?

In order to keep blood sugars from spiking you need to maintain a low glycemic diet.  That would include limiting any processed foods, breads, etc, but since you lost 26 pounds and I didn't, I guess I'm preaching to the choir, huh??  LOL

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not convinced that Cheerios is your culprit, since the A1c doesn't pick up "spikes"; it averages blood sugar over the course of a few months.  If you eat a lot of fruit, that could be the cause.
Blank
I'm completely baffled by the whole thing.  There's SO much to learn about this stuff.  I've got an appt to see my GP next week and am going to contact the diabetes clinic at the local hospital.  it's so frustrating because I had settled nicely into a simple food plan that was helping me lose weight (I hate thinking about food, or cooking it, or shopping for it) and now I'm going to have to start all over again.  Stress levels are cranking up, and I'm sure that isn't helping things either.  I'm not sure if I eat too much fruit - it's been the blueberries in the AM, usually an apple midmorning, and usually another piece of fruit either midafternoon or after dinner. I appreciate your input tho'.  I suspect a home meter would be useful so I can narrow things down. Man, I don't like this one little bit!!
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Typically, fruit should be limited to 1-2 servings/day, because most fruit has a lot of sugar.  Apples and pears are a better choice than many, because of their high fiber content.

A good, low glycemic diet would include plenty of protein (meat, chicken, fish, dairy, eggs, etc), lots of veggies, which are low calorie/high fiber, so they take longer to break down and don't spike blood sugar, and whole grains, such as brown rice, whole grain breads, pastas and cereals, etc.  

My "go to" snacks are sliced radishes and celery.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now