Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
PRE-DIABETES QUESTION OF THE MONTHS: APRIL 2013

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Hi All!

MedHelp has started a new project, "question of the month", you may have seen something similar on other forums.  The idea is to ask a simple and brief question that is made to stimulate discussion.  We can all learn a lot from each other, and also can appreciate how each situation varies from person to person.

So, here is our Question of the Month for April...if you have ideas for a QOM for subsequent months, please PM me.

Looking forward to seeing some great discussion!  Thanks!

QOM:
How did you find out you had pre-diabetes?  How were you officially diagnosed?  I'm interested in seeing members share some stories on how they came about to know they were pre-diabeteic, if there were symptoms that led them to the doctor, or if routine blood work caught it...etc.  Please share some info on the initial onset of the condition.

Thanks!
A few years ago, I'd begun checking fasting blood sugars and they were consistently high, however, my doctor, at the time, refused to follow up on them, because my A1c, a year earlier, was "normal", even though right at the very top.  

I've been fighting weight issues every since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 5 yrs ago; my thyroid levels are now adequate, but nothing I do seems to get rid of the weight.  My current doctor does regular blood work, because of cholesterol issues and pernicious anemia; my fasting blood glucose came back high, but not high enough to be diabetic. The diagnosis is pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome.  

Insulin resistance has been determined to be the major cause of my weight issue.  Both type I and type II diabetes are rampant in my family.

I've recently undergone a comprehensive blood test, which will give actual insulin levels, etc.  I'll get the results for that when I see my doctor on the 18th.
I'm answering on behalf of a family member.  He found out via a fasting blood test and has been trying to change diet and incorporate exercise.  So far, so good.

C~
I was dx'd at 35.  I have family hx of diabetes.  My PCP ordered blood test as a part of my annual check-up.

On the other hand, my hubby tested fasting BG 100.  So I asked him to request for a glucose test at his annual check-up.  And his PCP refused to order b/c he's not 45 yet.  

Having a good doctor is the key!
Thanks everyone for the input!

There seems to be a good bit of resistance on the part of some docs to be proactive about this, which is unfortunate.  The earlier a problem is identified, the better the chance of managing it, and keeping it from progressing any further.

"Having a good doctor is the key! "

Annie, I agree 100%

Thanks guys!