Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
PRE-DIABETES QUESTION OF THE MONTHS: APRIL 2013
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

PRE-DIABETES QUESTION OF THE MONTHS: APRIL 2013

Hi All!

MedHelp has started a new project, "question of the month", you may have seen something similar on other forums.  The idea is to ask a simple and brief question that is made to stimulate discussion.  We can all learn a lot from each other, and also can appreciate how each situation varies from person to person.

So, here is our Question of the Month for April...if you have ideas for a QOM for subsequent months, please PM me.

Looking forward to seeing some great discussion!  Thanks!

QOM:
How did you find out you had pre-diabetes?  How were you officially diagnosed?  I'm interested in seeing members share some stories on how they came about to know they were pre-diabeteic, if there were symptoms that led them to the doctor, or if routine blood work caught it...etc.  Please share some info on the initial onset of the condition.

Thanks!
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
A few years ago, I'd begun checking fasting blood sugars and they were consistently high, however, my doctor, at the time, refused to follow up on them, because my A1c, a year earlier, was "normal", even though right at the very top.  

I've been fighting weight issues every since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 5 yrs ago; my thyroid levels are now adequate, but nothing I do seems to get rid of the weight.  My current doctor does regular blood work, because of cholesterol issues and pernicious anemia; my fasting blood glucose came back high, but not high enough to be diabetic. The diagnosis is pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome.  

Insulin resistance has been determined to be the major cause of my weight issue.  Both type I and type II diabetes are rampant in my family.

I've recently undergone a comprehensive blood test, which will give actual insulin levels, etc.  I'll get the results for that when I see my doctor on the 18th.
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
I'm answering on behalf of a family member.  He found out via a fasting blood test and has been trying to change diet and incorporate exercise.  So far, so good.

C~
Blank
1806721_tn?1388096157
I was dx'd at 35.  I have family hx of diabetes.  My PCP ordered blood test as a part of my annual check-up.

On the other hand, my hubby tested fasting BG 100.  So I asked him to request for a glucose test at his annual check-up.  And his PCP refused to order b/c he's not 45 yet.  

Having a good doctor is the key!
Blank
480448_tn?1403547723
Thanks everyone for the input!

There seems to be a good bit of resistance on the part of some docs to be proactive about this, which is unfortunate.  The earlier a problem is identified, the better the chance of managing it, and keeping it from progressing any further.

"Having a good doctor is the key! "

Annie, I agree 100%

Thanks guys!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
480448_tn?1403547723
Blank
nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
10 hrs ago
Blank
lesweet1971 commented on Derealization and Dep...
11 hrs ago
4851940_tn?1385441629
Blank
jemma116 commented on photo
Aug 29
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703