Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
PRE-DIABETES QUESTION OF THE MONTHS: APRIL 2013

A community of people with Pre-Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences on prevention: nutrition, fitness, management.

Hi All!

MedHelp has started a new project, "question of the month", you may have seen something similar on other forums.  The idea is to ask a simple and brief question that is made to stimulate discussion.  We can all learn a lot from each other, and also can appreciate how each situation varies from person to person.

So, here is our Question of the Month for April...if you have ideas for a QOM for subsequent months, please PM me.

Looking forward to seeing some great discussion!  Thanks!

QOM:
How did you find out you had pre-diabetes?  How were you officially diagnosed?  I'm interested in seeing members share some stories on how they came about to know they were pre-diabeteic, if there were symptoms that led them to the doctor, or if routine blood work caught it...etc.  Please share some info on the initial onset of the condition.

Thanks!
A few years ago, I'd begun checking fasting blood sugars and they were consistently high, however, my doctor, at the time, refused to follow up on them, because my A1c, a year earlier, was "normal", even though right at the very top.  

I've been fighting weight issues every since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 5 yrs ago; my thyroid levels are now adequate, but nothing I do seems to get rid of the weight.  My current doctor does regular blood work, because of cholesterol issues and pernicious anemia; my fasting blood glucose came back high, but not high enough to be diabetic. The diagnosis is pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome.  

Insulin resistance has been determined to be the major cause of my weight issue.  Both type I and type II diabetes are rampant in my family.

I've recently undergone a comprehensive blood test, which will give actual insulin levels, etc.  I'll get the results for that when I see my doctor on the 18th.
I'm answering on behalf of a family member.  He found out via a fasting blood test and has been trying to change diet and incorporate exercise.  So far, so good.

C~
I was dx'd at 35.  I have family hx of diabetes.  My PCP ordered blood test as a part of my annual check-up.

On the other hand, my hubby tested fasting BG 100.  So I asked him to request for a glucose test at his annual check-up.  And his PCP refused to order b/c he's not 45 yet.  

Having a good doctor is the key!
Thanks everyone for the input!

There seems to be a good bit of resistance on the part of some docs to be proactive about this, which is unfortunate.  The earlier a problem is identified, the better the chance of managing it, and keeping it from progressing any further.

"Having a good doctor is the key! "

Annie, I agree 100%

Thanks guys!
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
Please be aware of this!!!!!!
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Apr 27