Aa
A
A
Close
Periodic fasting glucose results around 100
About a year ago during routine blood work, my fasting glucose result was found to be 102. My doctor (an endocrinologist I see for my thyroid disorder) was concerned and ordered A1C and C-Peptide tests along with another fasting glucose test. All came back normal a few weeks later (A1C 5.1, fasting glucose 92). An additional fasting glucose test a few months later was normal at 94. Just a few days ago, I got another blood test and my fasting glucose was back up to 101. So in the past year, my results have been 102, 92, 94, and 101. I am 34 years old, very athletic, and not overweight at all. I am concerned about diabetes because both my aunt and uncle on my mother's side had type 1 diabetes, though my mother did not. Should I be concerned about the latest 101 result? Could it be that I just ate something that caused a spike? I fasted for 12 hours before the test, but did eat a large meal with a lot of carbs and some soda. Could stress also cause this result? I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety recently. I see my doctor in a few weeks, but wanted to get some other thoughts.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,

your fasting number of over 100 does bear watching, but is not yet alarming.  Given your family history, checking of hba1c (average 3 month blood sugar) would be warranted, and likely should be repeated every 6 months or so to monitor the situation.

Truly normal fasting is < 95, and typically in the low 80s.

Continuing with your active lifestyle, and adopting a lower carb way of eating will be beneficial.

You may wish to get a home blood sugar meter and monitor after carby meals from time to time to be sure your numbers are not too high / rising over time.   pre and post eating numbers are ideally similar if one is non-diabetic.  Numbers consistently  higher than 125 would be cause for further investigation / and changing diet / consideration of meds.

Please come back and let us know your hba1c numbers, and how you are going.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
18601474 tn?1466191688
Hi there, here is some advice from MedHelp.org on keeping your blood sugar in check before a diabetes diagnosis:

http://www.medhelp.org/diabetes/articles/10-Ways-to-Sidestep-Diabetes/188
http://www.medhelp.org/diabetes/slideshows/Stop-Diabetes-Before-It-Starts/373

We wish you much luck and please come back to ask more questions and keep us posted
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
534105 tn?1226160777
Your numbers are perfectly normal. Do not worry.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet