Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
Pre-diabetic

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Pre-diabetic

My doctor has just told me that I am pre-diabetic. My fasting glucose was 124. Needless to say I'm pretty scared and would like your advice on what I need to do to either reduce or even reverse this diagnosis. Can anyone recommend a good book that lists the foods I need to avoid and ones that are very good. Is there a supplement I can take to help?
I know I need to exercise, but I work as a CNA in a hospital and trust me, we run our rears off, but obviously that isn't the same as an exercise program.
I'm 5'7" and weigh about 168, so I could stand to lose some weight.
I'm 59 years old with no history of diabetes in the family I know of.
Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I've been given a second chance and I don't want to lose it.
Thank you all so much!
Hello Lydia!  I went through the same thing you are going through about 5-6 years ago.  Except I was told that I was a Type 2 Diabetic and I was at 245 pounds.  I dropped to 145 pounds just by excluding sugars and,  watching my starch intake.  Limit yourself to only 5 starches a day.  The weight just dropped off.  

=)

My Type 2 Diabetes seems to come and go,  so the year I found out I didn't have it,  I ate like a pig..lol.  Now I am at 170 pounds even.  Pre-diabetic again.  But,  the Doctor told me Monday I am doing very well with it.  Now,  I'm not saying it will work for you but,  it sure did work for me.  Good luck and let us know what happens.
Hi Lydia

It's great that you are looking at this diagnosis as an opportunity, not a crisis, because that is what it is; a chance to do something to slow the progression of your diabetes. Weight loss is one of the most important things you can do, as this will reduce your insulin resistance. Begin a program of gradual healthy weight loss combined with regular exercise. Blood Sugar 101 is a good general book about diabetes and you can access it online as well. Many people ask "what can I eat and what must I not eat?" and that is not a black and white answer. We are all different, and some of us (diabetics) can tolerate some foods without increase in our blood sugar while others would go through the roof. In general, eliminate simple sugar and drastically reduce carbs of all kinds. Some type 2's find that whole grains work better for them, some find it makes little difference, "a carb is a carb". Carbs are what raise blood sugar. The best way to find out what works for YOU is to "eat to your meter". Get a testing meter and try testing two hours after a meal. You want to be below 140 (below 120 is even better!). If you do this fairly regularly for awhile you will begin to see what you can eat, and what portions work to not raise your blood sugar. If you want the names of a couple websites where you can learn from thousands of other diabetics: pre-diabetics, type 2 and type 1-send me a private message.
Carbohydrates comprise the highest source of blood sugar. But in spite of abounding advice to the contrary, it is not true all diabetes patients should completely eliminate carbohydrates from their diet. In fact, doctors recommend that carbs account for 40%-60% of your daily caloric intake, but not all carbs are the same. There are good carbs [complex] and there are bad carbs [simple].

The carbohydrates that we consume are generally one of of two types. The complex ones found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and starches. These are the good guys. The simple ones found in table sugar and processed foods are the bad guys. For a diabetic diet, complex carbohydrates from vegetables and whole grains are best, as they take more time to break down and contain fiber, which is extremely important for preventing heart disease, promoting weight loss and helps prevent the progression of diabetes type 2. On the other hand, starchy foods like potatoes, white bread, and pasta, while still necessary, turn into sugar after digestion, should be limited to very small portions. However, some type 2 diabetics cannot tolerate these white foods as they jack up their glucose levels way above normal - just as if they consumed granulated sugar. Therefore, testing after consuming these products will identify whether your body can or cannot consume these types of starches. Simple carbs, however, should be avoided all together.

Bottom line, watch your portions, exercise daily, lose and maintain body weight. The latter has been found to lower blood glucose levels dramatically.
I greatly appreciate all of your responses, thank you for taking the time to reply.

And I hope you will forgive me for not choosing a "Best Answer," because they were ALL helpful, informative and encouraging. They were all "Best" in my opinion.

Warmly,
Linda
No problem Lydia.

=D

Keep us updated.