Prediabetes?
Hello, I'm 20yrs female at  borderline weight with BMI 18 (5.06ft/154cm, 95lbs/43kg)
Recently feeling lightheaded around 1hr after meals, or after 4-5hrs from my previous meal, got concerned with my blood sugar level and went to doctor, ran my blood test (which I believe is a random blood test) got normal results for blood sugar and thyroid.
But I got myself a blood glucose meter. Normally have a fasting blood glucose at 92-95mg/ml (5.1-5.3mmol).
But my 1hr postprandial BG reading is crazy,

Breakfast(25carbs) - 30g plain oatmeal, with cooked carrot, Brussels, green peas, cabbage
0 mins - 87mg/ml (5.2mmol)
60mins - 213mg/ml (11.8mmol)
80mins - 124mg/ml (6.9mmol)

Dinner(<20carbs) - 125g cooked rice, 50g chicken breast, some leafy vege
0 mins - 103mg/ml (5.7mmol)
60mins - 153mg/ml (8.5mmol)
120mins - 114mg/ml (6.3mmol)

I'm aware that normal person should not have blood sugar spikes over 140, and it doesn't seems like I'm having huge amount of carbs in my meal, am I a prediabetes or in fact more serious than that??
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,

Your 1 hour numbers are definitely too high.
Given your age and weight, a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is unlikely (is there any family history of diabetes?), and you may possibly be very early type 1.  

the thing with Type 1 is that you can go from fairly ok, to very sick within a very short period.

I would be continuing to monitor for a few more days (along with recording exactly what you eat), and then going to your dr.  Hopefully your dr will refer you to an endocrinologist.  However,  your dr also may not be very concerned because your 2 hour post-eating numbers appear to be normal (or close to it).  However, I think you are right to be concerned.

In the meantime, please eat low carb (plenty of non-starchy veges, meats, healthy fats etc, but restrict all sugars / grains).  Please also familiarize yourself with the symptoms of type 1.   I would continue to test blood sugar at 1 hour after eating to help you work out what meals are giving least impact on blood sugar.

hope this helps.  Please check back and let us know what's going on with you.

I
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Blank
Manila, Philippines
Blank
5536886 tn?1455830946
Blank