Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
TIPS FOR DIABETES PREVENTION

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

TIPS FOR DIABETES PREVENTION

I found a a great article I wanted to share:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/

It's pretty simple...there are a few things you can start doing today to decrease the odds of your developing diabetes.  Adopting lifestyle changes make a HUGE difference in the chance of developing pre-diabetes or diabetes.  Also, if you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, NOW is the time to make those changes, to prevent the disease from progressing.

Basic Prevention Tips:

1.  Weight management.  If you are overweight, try to shed some of those pounds.  Obviously, the more, the better.  If you are at an ideal weight, maintain it and try to avoid weight gain.  Obesity is the leading cause of Type 2 Diabetes.

2.  Lifestyle changes:  Get more active, adopt an exercise program, avoid being overly sedentary.  Get out and do things.  If you indulge in binge drinking, or drink excessively, this needs addressed.  Alcohol abuse can lead to all kinds of health problems. Smoking cessation is also important, for general health reasons.

3.  Diet: You can make some changes in your diet to include more healthy choices.  Cutting down on fattier foods, and processed foods will go a long way in helping with weight management, and management of cholesterol, lipids, etc.  A lot of people think you can become diabetic by eating a lot of sugar.  That is not true.  "Everything in moderation" is a great mantra for diet.  Eating an excess of sugary foods can lead to weight gain, which will increase your risk of developing diabetes, but actually eating sugar will not cause you to be diabetic.  If you areb diabetic, or pre-diabetic, diet is more important than ever.  Ask your doctor for guidance on nutrition and diet control.

4.  Regular Medical Care:  This is so important.  An annual physical with bloodwork is so important.  The earlier your doctor can identify a medical problem, the better.  It's a lot easier to manage a condition when caught in its early stages.  Many medical conditions will also lead to, or exacerbate other disorders, so it's VERY important to always stay on top of things.

I invite anyone to add to, or elaborate on and of this information.  Prevention is so important.  As a nurse, I can tell you that the numbers of people with Type II Diabetes has just skyrocketed, in just the 18 years I've been in practice.  It has really become an epidemic of sorts.
Great post NG! Prevention is the so-o-o much the key.
I would like to add...
Exercise should be 30-60 minutes daily. Eat b4 not after.
Diet and/or nutrition plan should include cutting way back on 'simple' carb intake; avoiding foods made with with white four, starches and so on
Thanks so much for the input!   Great points!  And you're right, unlike Type I  most times, prevention is the key for Type II Diabetes.

I think it would be helpful for us to maybe start a thread dedicated to discussing diet, nutrition.  We could even post recipes that people have found to be yummy!  
BUMP