Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
TIPS FOR DIABETES PREVENTION
About This Community:

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

TIPS FOR DIABETES PREVENTION

I found a a great article I wanted to share:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/

It's pretty simple...there are a few things you can start doing today to decrease the odds of your developing diabetes.  Adopting lifestyle changes make a HUGE difference in the chance of developing pre-diabetes or diabetes.  Also, if you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, NOW is the time to make those changes, to prevent the disease from progressing.

Basic Prevention Tips:

1.  Weight management.  If you are overweight, try to shed some of those pounds.  Obviously, the more, the better.  If you are at an ideal weight, maintain it and try to avoid weight gain.  Obesity is the leading cause of Type 2 Diabetes.

2.  Lifestyle changes:  Get more active, adopt an exercise program, avoid being overly sedentary.  Get out and do things.  If you indulge in binge drinking, or drink excessively, this needs addressed.  Alcohol abuse can lead to all kinds of health problems. Smoking cessation is also important, for general health reasons.

3.  Diet: You can make some changes in your diet to include more healthy choices.  Cutting down on fattier foods, and processed foods will go a long way in helping with weight management, and management of cholesterol, lipids, etc.  A lot of people think you can become diabetic by eating a lot of sugar.  That is not true.  "Everything in moderation" is a great mantra for diet.  Eating an excess of sugary foods can lead to weight gain, which will increase your risk of developing diabetes, but actually eating sugar will not cause you to be diabetic.  If you areb diabetic, or pre-diabetic, diet is more important than ever.  Ask your doctor for guidance on nutrition and diet control.

4.  Regular Medical Care:  This is so important.  An annual physical with bloodwork is so important.  The earlier your doctor can identify a medical problem, the better.  It's a lot easier to manage a condition when caught in its early stages.  Many medical conditions will also lead to, or exacerbate other disorders, so it's VERY important to always stay on top of things.

I invite anyone to add to, or elaborate on and of this information.  Prevention is so important.  As a nurse, I can tell you that the numbers of people with Type II Diabetes has just skyrocketed, in just the 18 years I've been in practice.  It has really become an epidemic of sorts.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
141598_tn?1355675363
Great post NG! Prevention is the so-o-o much the key.
I would like to add...
Exercise should be 30-60 minutes daily. Eat b4 not after.
Diet and/or nutrition plan should include cutting way back on 'simple' carb intake; avoiding foods made with with white four, starches and so on
Blank
480448_tn?1403547723
Thanks so much for the input!   Great points!  And you're right, unlike Type I  most times, prevention is the key for Type II Diabetes.

I think it would be helpful for us to maybe start a thread dedicated to discussing diet, nutrition.  We could even post recipes that people have found to be yummy!  
Blank
480448_tn?1403547723
BUMP
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
649848_tn?1357751184
Blank
Barb135 commented on Official Announcement...
21 hrs ago
480448_tn?1403547723
Blank
nursegirl6572 commented on Derealization and Dep...
Sep 18
Blank
Lev1Fagan commented on Derealization and Dep...
Sep 18
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979